Hello,
Before I proceed with my question I would like to ask all readers to re direct to me to a thread if this question has already been asked or answered. Thank you.

I traded amps for a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 a few years ago. This is my first real tube amp, and I know nothing really about tubes. I read the "tube thread", which was helpful, but did not answer my question, or help my concerns.

Yesterday during band practice my amps volume was somewhat giving out. I didnt know whether it was a speaker or a tube, but it reminded me that I havnt replaced my tubes, and I dont even know whether they need replacing soon.

Questions:
1) How often must one replace their tubes with weekly, consistent use?
2) Does does one know when their tubes are going bad, or are bad?
3) What could have caused my amp to give out?

If possible please post pics of worn, or old tubes. I would greatly appreciate it.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN
tubes can last 20 minutes or 20 years

i'd say the average for power tubes is 2 - 5 years

volume drops like that are very indicative of power tubes dying

with power tubes there really is no good way to tell until they just die

it is a pretty safe bet that that is your problem

it could be other things but it would take some more diagnosing - which is hard over the intererwebz

with the Mesa amps you don't need to bias the amp when putting in new power tubes so you should be able to buy/plug in/play

don't buy 'Mesa' branded tubes. Just buy a matched set of tubes from somewhere like this:

www.dougstubes.com
www.valvequeen.com
www.tubedepot.com
www.thetubestore.com
www.eurotubes.com (not in europe)
www.hotroxuk.com (in europe)
These two posts are awesome.

I assume different tubes, different variety of tones?

Is there a link to how to replace tubes by yourself (Since it is a Mesa)

Do Fender Twin's need to be biased?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
tubes can last 20 minutes or 20 years

i'd say the average for power tubes is 2 - 5 years

volume drops like that are very indicative of power tubes dying

with power tubes there really is no good way to tell until they just die

it is a pretty safe bet that that is your problem

it could be other things but it would take some more diagnosing - which is hard over the intererwebz

with the Mesa amps you don't need to bias the amp when putting in new power tubes so you should be able to buy/plug in/play

don't buy 'Mesa' branded tubes. Just buy a matched set of tubes from somewhere like this:

www.dougstubes.com
www.valvequeen.com
www.tubedepot.com
www.thetubestore.com
www.eurotubes.com (not in europe)
www.hotroxuk.com (in europe)

Why should´nt he buy mesa tubes ? Those are great tubes, I know !!!!
I've had several amps with problems of volume coming and going. In all cases it was caused by cracked solder joints on circuit board mounted pots and jacks for the front panel.
Quote by sstony
Why should´nt he buy mesa tubes ? Those are great tubes, I know !!!!

Because they're rebranded tubes... Apparently you didn't know.

TS - The tubes just pull straight out. Sometimes you have to rock them back and forth a little, but be very careful not to rock too much or you could bend the pins. Then to put new ones in you just line up the pins then push. Its literally easier than changing a lightbulb.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
There is nothing wrong with mesa tubes, Apparently you didn't know.
My buddy had a quad set of Mesa Tubes. He had a Hot Rod Deluxe that had a bad tube so I replaced them with a pair of the Mesa's. They were so far out they wouldn't bias. So I tried the other pair and they biased fine.
Quote by fly135
I've had several amps with problems of volume coming and going. In all cases it was caused by cracked solder joints on circuit board mounted pots and jacks for the front panel.

Well this the first time it happened. I dont want to think its that. That problem sounds very expensive. I have a lot of pedals and a lot of horrible cables. I am going to hope its that.