Mid gain, like PAF pickups and vintage rock pickups, or modern rock. High gain refers to pickups that remain tight and responsive under lots of gain, mid gain would be less responsive and tight under high gain, and low gain pickups are more for blues and lighter rock.
so higher the pickup gain is, the more it will handle distorion/overdrive, but the cleans wont be that nice, mid gain have better cleans but can handle les distortion/overdrive and so on?
Quote by n1ckn1ce
so higher the pickup gain is, the more it will handle distorion/overdrive, but the cleans wont be that nice, mid gain have better cleans but can handle les distortion/overdrive and so on?

For the most part, yeah. Usually the higher the DC resistance of the pickup, the hotter it is. You sacrifice high gain tolerance for your cleans.

Mid gain pickups tend to float around the 8k to 10k range, maybe more or less, and high gain is anything over 13k. Low gain are around 5k to 7k I think.

I'm just ball parking those numbers, they might not be 100% correct.
Just to clarify: they don't mean gain. What they mean is output, gain is a different thing.

Pickups can be tuned for different amounts of gain in terms of their tone but that doesn't necessarily affect the output of the pickups. For example: EMGs have seen a whole lot of use in jazz since their clean tones have a specific tone to them but they're really high output.

Personally I don't believe in pickups being suited for different gains anyway, pickups have different tones and people use them for different things, really these days the amount of gain you get or how clean your clean sounds are depends almost entirely on your amp. Unless you're using vintage or very vintage style gear, in which case the older "more pickup output = more gain" rule applies a lot more.

Your guitar sucks for cleans because you have a bad amp to be honest, spiders aren't known for their tonal excellence. If you put your schecter through an amp with a good amount of headroom and a nice clean channel you could get a sparkly clean sound like anything else but you don't own that kind of amp so you're not going to get that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.