Poll: who started this rock & roll myth?
Poll Options
View poll results: who started this rock & roll myth?
Hank Williams
3 2%
Robert Johnson
25 17%
When Buddy Holly & Ritchie Valens died in the plane crash
12 8%
Eddie Cochran
0 0%
27 Club (Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison, Jones)
57 39%
Other
6 4%
Live Fast, die young; it's the rock & roll way
25 17%
Dying Young is a bunch of bollocks. it shouldn't increase anyone's legend
18 12%
Voters: 146.
Page 1 of 2
its pretty much established that dying young in rock increases your legend by about 10x, but who was the one that got this tradition going?
Last edited by killjoy_bentley at Aug 22, 2011,
Myth?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Jesus Christ.

Because dying young in while in any prominent or famous position increases your legend by about 10x.

EDIT: Holy shit I can't believe someone actually beat me to that.
Quote by KeepOnRotting
I always thought it was Jesus.

King Tut was way more of a rockstar than Jesus, and he died younger.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
It started with the release of this album:

EDIT: Damn you, thegonia777!
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Last edited by Jazz Funeral at Aug 22, 2011,
Amy Winehouse RIP
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Pretty sure it's Hendrix.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by theogonia777
King Tut was way more of a rockstar than Jesus, and he died younger.

He doesn't exactly have a legend's following, though.
Quote by KeepOnRotting
He doesn't exactly have a legend's following, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgTPH5y1-ZI

You guys know nothing
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
The myth started at rock & roll itself. Once you sell your soul to Rock & roll you're bound to live hard and die soon.
Quote by Tyson2011
d von is truly one of the pit.

Quote by 09phillt
Good God Man What's Wrong With You!?
Dying at your prime so nobody remembers a decline.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by MakinLattes
Wasn't Robert Johnson the "sell your soul to the devil myth" dude?

Yes, he's a 1930's acoustic blues guitarist (and a slave) who's guitar skills were so impressive that people believed he sold his soul for his skill. He's one of the most influential blues guitarists of all time, he did it in less than 10 years.
you're a stone fox
Quote by MakinLattes
Wasn't Robert Johnson the "sell your soul to the devil myth" dude?

that is him, though people had said the same of many people before him, such as Paganini.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Saint78
Yes, he's a 1930's acoustic blues guitarist (and a slave) who's guitar skills were so impressive that people believed he sold his soul for his skill. He's one of the most influential blues guitarists of all time, he did it in less than 10 years.

Because everybody know negroes never do any hard work, and therefore can't earn anything, like guitar skills. He must have sold his soul to the devil.
Quote by Saint78

I know who he is, I just didn't think he'd have more than one myth attached to him.
Quote by MakinLattes
I know who he is, I just didn't think he'd have more than one myth attached to him.

I actually enjoy his music. Eric Clapton did a whole album of covers.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Butt Rayge
Because everybody know negroes never do any hard work, and therefore can't earn anything, like guitar skills. He must have sold his soul to the devil.

That isn't why people think it. It was Son House (another great blues musician) who started the rumour really because Robert Johnson was a friend of his but he was very bad at playing the guitar, then he dissapeared for a few years and came back and had improved immensely, after this the 'sold his soul at the crossroads' thing got started, although Robert Johnson wasn't the first to use that myth, it was around long before him and another blues player called Tommy Johnson who was around before Robert had the same thing said about him to 'selling your soul at the crossroads' and such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Johnson_(blues_musician)

It's worth remembering too that this was a highly religious community and the blues was thought of for a long time as the devils music. John Lee Hookers stepfather would refuse to let him play the guitar when he was young for instance for this very reason.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Aug 22, 2011,
Probably Robert Johnson, cuz he did die young and influenced a whole generation of musicians. It may have also been popularized due to "My Generation," since everyone thought of it as rock n' roll and such.

Quote by UntilISleep
I have always found it odd that so many rockstars die at 27.

They probably do it on purpose

I know Kurt Cobain said somewhere that he always wanted to be part of the 27 club, so he MAY have killed himself for that purpose. Everyone else that I know of died either due to drugs or a very unfortunate accident.
Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker!
I'd say Johnson, also 'cause of the devil thing. Then Joplin, Hendrix and Morrison, living hard and dying young because of it, expanded the myth.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
The romantic poets and musicians of the mid 19th century.

Really though, the "rockstars" of that day busted their asses to turn dying young into some myth about being a bad ass artist.
Quote by Saint78

I thought that was Mashed Potato Johnson.
Sure, there were some young musician deaths in the beginning of the 20th century, but who do you think popularized it? Jazz guys, that's who. No one could do drugs like them. Clifford Brown, Charlie Parker, Charlie Christian, Lester Young, Paul Chambers, Fats Navaro, Dick Twardzik, Bix Beiderbecke, Don Ellis... the list goes on.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
The romantic poets and musicians of the mid 19th century.

Really though, the "rockstars" of that day busted their asses to turn dying young into some myth about being a bad ass artist.

Felix Mendelssohn!

you can actually see the devil in his eyes
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by smartguyreviews
Sure, there were some young musician deaths in the beginning of the 20th century, but who do you think popularized it? Jazz guys, that's who. No one could do drugs like them. Clifford Brown, Charlie Parker, Charlie Christian, Lester Young, Paul Chambers, Fats Navaro, Dick Twardzik, Bix Beiderbecke, Don Ellis... the list goes on.

****in' A
Page 1 of 2