I wanted to start building my custom guitar, Telecaster probably. My uncle has a big ass black oak in his yard that hes gonna cut down. If i can find a solid enough piece, should i take it for the body? Is black oak even good for a body? Should i take some for a neck or fretboard too?
Thanks.
Depends upon how long you are willing to wait for your hot new guitar. If you are impatient, do not, let me repeat, DO NOT, use that wood. You will have to air dry it (which takes a long time, I'm talking 8 months to a year) unless you have access to a kiln, which is not preferable, but is quicker. I would buy a body blank from the eBays and use that instead.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Depends, I don't know what pickups go good with plywood. EMGs will make it sound like every other EMG guitar though.

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
1 year per 1 inch of thickness to dry wood.

Just buy some.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
My experience with Black Oak is that it splinters easier than Red Oak and takes a little more caution when using power tools and chisels because of so. For an 8/4 body blank you'd have to let that air dry for at least 2 years before you could even think of shaping it. Otherwise you'll wind up with a saucer-shaped guitar with an inch of action on a 23.6" scale neck.

Hit up a small local lumber yard and you can get some good deals on domestic hardwoods. If you're in the US I'm sure you could find Black Walnut, Cherry, Poplar, Ash, and all sorts of other oddball stuff that's plenty suitable for a guitar body at a great price. Although with the Black Walnut and Cherry you'll wanna stay away from gunstock grades, they'll absolutely rape you in price for those cuts. You can get 2nds with nice figure for less than half of the fancy grades.

Since my family has owned a sawmill for over 80 years it's pretty easy for me to kick up stuff like 12" tight curly cherry boards, so I'm not sure on actual pricing for these woods.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Aug 28, 2011,