all in the title lol.

should i get cakewalk for it?
Last edited by emmicKs at Aug 22, 2011,
How much are you looking to spend?
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Then Cubase or protools are your best bet. Logic is good too if you have a mac.

I've had no problems thus far with Reaper, and its significantly cheaper, really comes down to what you're willing to pay and what you need it to do.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
protools is sort of the industry standard, but it requires special pluggins which is a massive added expense. Both it and cubase have a relatively large learning curve but they also have excellent work flow once you get it down. If I had the money I'd get cubase. There really isn't anything, that I know of, that protools can do and cubase can't.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
ya i dont mind the learning part. so overall you prefer protools due to it being the industry standard. but cubase is cheaper and does everything the same?
I don't prefer protools at all, in fact I have minimal experience with it. I used cubase recording something with a friend though and it was very good, I just can't justify the price when reaper does the little I need it to. I only mentioned that protools was industry standard as that matters to some people. It bothers me how expensive it is, especially when you include the plugins., a lot of studios use cubase and just have protools because people are so familiar with the brand.

Lockwolf has protools and a million pluggins iirc, he probably has a better idea of the costs/capabilities of protools.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No experience with it, I assume it's on par with the rest.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
If you're new to recording, grab Reaper and use it's FREE evaluation license till you decide to get a little more serious and start attempting to make money off your recordings.

The evaluation license doesn't cap off any features, the only thing it does is has a 5 second popup window saying how many days you've been using it.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
I don't know if there's something wrong with me but I say Pro Tools all the way. I found it the easiest to use. The other DAW's may have found ways to layout everything out on one screen but i felt it was almost sensory overload. I'm sure if you know Reaper or cubase like a pro then it's no problem, but I honestly liked that pro tools is kind of outdated in the sense that if you want something you can go to the menu/info bar at the top and find it eventually, even if you do not know all the keyboard shortcuts etc etc. But once you learn the keyboard shortcuts, etc, your workflow will be as fast as all the other DAW's. But I do agree robertito696 that the bad thing about PT is it uses RTAS vs VST's which can be a problem if you want to use free amp sims, impulse cabs, and many more things. This is just my opinion, I've heard people finding other DAW's much easier than pro tools, but this is my 2 cents. If you havent checked out Studio One Pro by presonus I would check it out. I hear it's awesome
USA Jackson RR1, Carvin Custom 7 String, Peavey 6505+, Krank Krankenstein Cabinet, Carvin Power Conditioner, Line 6 G 90 Wireless, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Full tone OCD Overdrive, ISP Decimator, Boss TU 2 Tuner
STOP.

Don't get ProTools. Don't get CuBase. Don't pay 500-1000 euros for a DAW when you can get one for free that does the exact same things and which, in the end, might end up doing some things even better than e.g. ProTools - PT has no native VST support, like the poster above me also pointed out.

Get Reaper first, if you feel better about it get a license as it's only 30 or 40 dollars. Use that, get to know it, and then when you feel that it's starting to hold you back, start looking into new, expensive DAW's.

I'm not trying to be a bitch, it's awesome to have awesome tools and everything, but in my opinion using CuBase or ProTools for an UX2 is pretty much overkill.
Last edited by Eryth at Aug 23, 2011,
Start with Reaper.

For the most part DAWs are all personal preference. You have to see what fits your work flow better. I used Cubase for a while and Sonar (before that) and just didn't care for them to much. I tried Pro Tools (It was while back so it was an older version) and thought it was disappointed it was nothing special) I for some reason decided to try FL Studio and I love it (now that's its not just a looping program with a sequencer). I am not saying you should use it but I use FL Studio for every type of music (even stuff with no sequencing). You just need to find what works for you through trials and such.
Last edited by FireHawk at Aug 23, 2011,
My personal opinion:
For Mac --> Garageband
For Windows --> Cubase (if you want to add other instruments) or Adobe Audition 3.0 (if you just want to add guitar/bass over an backing track).
Sex, Drugs and Rock 'n Roll
I mentioned reaper in the beginning and he didn't seem interested. If the man wants to drop $$$ on cubase/protools more power to him.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I just got Cakewalk sonar x1 and sad to say, i dont even know how to get the sound from pod farm to work :[. i dont know how to have it plug into that program lol
Find the podfarm.dll it should be in the podfarm folder in your documents folder. Then move it to your vst folder, either the default one for the daw (found in preferences) or wherever you have your others stored. From there, load the podfarm vst onto a track.

I can be a bit more specific if you need, though I don't have cubase so it won't be a perfect step by step. Google is also a near limitless resource.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Quote by emmicKs
money is not a problem really

Wow.... must be nice.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Wait a sec... if money is not a problem, why aren't you using something much more than a UX2?

I mean, if money wasn't a problem, I'd have stuff by SSL, Avalon, Universal Audio, Neumann, Neve, Drawmer...

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Wait a sec... if money is not a problem, why aren't you using something much more than a UX2?

I mean, if money wasn't a problem, I'd have stuff by SSL, Avalon, Universal Audio, Neumann, Neve, Drawmer...

CT

Exactly if your gonna go cheap on something go cheap on DAW.