Hi.

So, I have a friend that's doing a vocal cover of Trains by Porcupine Tree for me. I've done the rest of the guitars and bass and drums, the vocals are the last thing to be done. She sent me a sample of her recording. It's slightly off-pitch - I can tell that some of the melody is off a bit. It's not even close to a bad cover, there's just some nit-picking things that could be fixed.

Basically, how do I critique a voice without sounding like a douche?
Quote by N_J_B_B

My first lolstack!
Last edited by Atlantis2112 at Aug 22, 2011,
Auto tune

In all seriousness just tell her the truth, if you don't think it's that bad she can probably fix it.
"I noticed some parts were off key during the (insert Chorus, Bridge, Verse.. etc), do you want to take another take of that?"

Seriously, if someone can't accept criticism like that, then they shouldn't be performing.
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
As long as you're not using insulting words it should be ok. She might still be a little hurt (only because she is disappointed in herself), but as long as you are "professional" about your choice of words it should be ok.

Just stay away from a youtube-esque comment of "OMG go kill yourself, this is *&%&*%!" and you should be fine
Start with some praise.

"I like the energy you're bringing to it, and the way you're making it your own," (find something truthful and positive to say), "But it sounds like you're missing a few of the notes or don't have the melody quite right. For example, it sounds like you're a little flat on the second line of the chorus. Do you want to take another pass at it, or we could get together to work on it?"

Start with praise. Be direct and specific. Offer to help fix the problem.

If she reacts negatively to that - and she is, in fact, out of tune - then she's not someone you want to work with.
Good suggestions so far.

Also try this...

Have her come over and fix the most obvious two or three spots.

Then, pull a "While we're at it, these parts here are okay, but I don't think they're as good as they can be. Since you're here, would you mind taking another shot at these two or three lines?"

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Joe-Floyd-lover
"I noticed some parts were off key during the (insert Chorus, Bridge, Verse.. etc), do you want to take another take of that?"

Seriously, if someone can't accept criticism like that, then they shouldn't be performing.

+1

Let her know. If you are not happy, fix it. If you keep it to make her feel better about herself you are going to not like the finish product. Also, she will not benefit from your critisism which may help her develop and become a better singer.