i really need someones help, hybrid picking has been a great technique of mine for around a year now but in the last few days ive really had trouble with it and i found the problem was that my index finger wants to straighten out when im holding the pick causing the pick to have no support and making it really difficult to hybrid pick well
Cool story bro. You just fixed your own problem.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
when you hybrid pick which finger(s) in particular do u tend to use to pluck stings in conjuction w/ the pick?
i mainly use the middle and ring fingers but most the issues happen when using the middle finger, lately its just felt hard to use especially when plucking a higher string with the ring then trying to do the one above right after with the middle. if anyone can help with an exercise to make the index stop straightening id be really grateful.
Dude here's ur issue...think about it, when u got the pick in your grip, the pick itself is being pinched on one side by ur thumb and on the other by ur pointer finger, I KNOW (at least when I am griping the pick like this) that without my middle finger bent over as is the case w/ my thumb/pointer during the gripping...that my pointer finger has nothing supporting it/stopping it from doing exactly what you are describing...this is why u should probably not use the middle finger in hybrid pickin...b/c it needs to be curled up...in order to provide structure/support for the pointer...use ur ring/pinky for your hybrid needs
thanks a lot i really appreciate it and i understand what your saying, but what i dont get is that this time last week i never had a problem and id been doing it that way for around a year before. only thing i can think of is that i injured my forearm a few days ago and somethings happened to a nerve or something similar causing it not to function how it was before
Quote by DiabolusMusica5
Dude here's ur issue...think about it, when u got the pick in your grip, the pick itself is being pinched on one side by ur thumb and on the other by ur pointer finger, I KNOW (at least when I am griping the pick like this) that without my middle finger bent over as is the case w/ my thumb/pointer during the gripping...that my pointer finger has nothing supporting it/stopping it from doing exactly what you are describing...this is why u should probably not use the middle finger in hybrid pickin...b/c it needs to be curled up...in order to provide structure/support for the pointer...use ur ring/pinky for your hybrid needs

I've never known a hybrid picker to not use the middle finger, I do so myself with absolutely no issue at all... aside from my lack of skill of course.

TS: What kind of injury was it? Was it quite severe?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
it was decent ive had to have stitches and anesthetic put in my arm and people think i may have pinched a nerve or two cause my picking hand feels weak. just like you ive never had an issue using my middle finger until now.
In that case I think you should consult a doctor, if you think it's nerve damage then it's way beyond our ken.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.