I am new to the world of guitars, but highly experienced as a prog/tech/post metal bassist.

I've researched extensively on gear for guitar since I am taking it up more seriously these days to write & record.

I notice a lot of people say Mesa Recto cabs got muddy low end and fart out. How are you guys EQing? Sounds like noobs all over the place boosting lows and highs (hoping for some chunk), and scooping the heck out of mids.

On my last album our guitarist (drop B) ran his Bass at about 2...
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Aug 23, 2011,
Correcto, just a bunch of idiots scooping their mids. If i'm correct Mesa Recto cab's have V30's in them which are pretty bright speakers but still have some punch in the lower frequencies. Ironically i find marshall cab's have more bass to them (personal experience). I use my friends Marshall 1960a cab with GT75's and it's definitely bassier than a mesa recto cab (did a comparison).
it depends on which amp you have running through it. if its a tighter amp, like a 5150 for example, it sounds damn good. it thickens up the sound and just makes it better in my opinion anyway. but if you are running a recto (ironically enough) or a looser amp like that, yes, it can get loose and flabby.
So...what?

Asking a question or just telling a story?

If telling a story then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JODwetfioWA
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Ahh...thought so, well.

Reported.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
I'm just saying... horrible sounding bands abound and cheap metal bassists often have the same problem, thinking that boosting lows makes them sound awesome. All about the mids...
That's super interesting.

Do go on.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by cGoEcYk

I notice a lot of people say Mesa Recto cabs got muddy low end and fart out. How are you guys EQing? Sounds like noobs all over the place boosting lows and highs (hoping for some chunk), and scooping the heck out of mids.

Replace Mesa Recto cabs with any other cabinet and over-do the bass and gain while cutting the mids and it'll sound awful. Lots of people don't understand how stuff works in a mix, so they try to translate their bedroom mid-cutting to the stage and it just sounds like flabby static. It isn't specific to Recto cabs.

I think this appears to be an issue with Mesa because they generally get fantastic reviews and kids go buy them expecting to just plug in and sound awesome. It takes some tweaking to get a great sound, especially with a boomy cab like a Recto cab. They're the best cabinets on the market in my opinion. I have yet to play another I like more than my Recto. Just have to know how to work with it, because it's easy to get carried away with bass.

Just my thoughts.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Mesas sound rad. Sometimes for enough low end for metal you do end up getting boomyness but you can combat that with a tube screamer... lol
I can't speak with regard to rectifiers, as I play through a Lonestar Classic, which one could say is the opposite of a metal amp for a Mesa. But it is a Mesa, and it is extremely naturally warm in the first place. My approximate go-to EQ knob settings have the Bass almost all the way down, maybe at 8 o'clock, the mids boosted moderately, at about 2 o'clock, and the treble somewhere between 12 and 2 o'clock. I can't imagine how absurdly boomy it would sound if I actually boosted the bass.

If I want to go for a metal sound, I simply keep those same settings on the clean channel and stomp on my Suhr Riot with the mids switch set to flat and the gain knob about halfway up (you really do not need more gain than that with this pedal IMO, as it gets saturated very quickly and things don't really meaningfully change that much very far past this point).
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Aug 23, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
Mesas sound rad. Sometimes for enough low end for metal you do end up getting boomyness but you can combat that with a tube screamer... lol

Can anyone elaborate on the Tube Screamer? I've been interested in this but don't have experience with what it actually does. Is it a boost pedal?
Quote by cGoEcYk
Can anyone elaborate on the Tube Screamer? I've been interested in this but don't have experience with what it actually does. Is it a boost pedal?

It's an overdrive pedal that has been something of a staple for decades. It tends to have a certain mid-hump that is nice for solos.

The closest equivolent of it that I use is the Xotic BB Preamp, which has the additional benefit of a bass and treble knob rather than just a single tone knob. And of course being true bypass.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Aug 23, 2011,
Quote by cGoEcYk
I'm just saying... horrible sounding bands abound and cheap metal bassists often have the same problem, thinking that boosting lows makes them sound awesome. All about the mids...

Not if you want a kyussy sound it's not, then it's all about the lows and mids, but mainly the lows.
Quote by cGoEcYk
I am new to the world of guitars, but highly experienced as a prog/tech/post metal bassist.

I've researched extensively on gear for guitar since I am taking it up more seriously these days to write & record.

On my last album our guitarist (drop B) ran his Bass at about 2...

Whats the point of this thread?
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by cGoEcYk
How are you guys EQing?

Found the thread topic.

TS, pretty good actually. On a scale of 1 to 10 I give myself 8, but then again I am modest. Everyone rate yourselves should make for an interesting read

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12
Big fail I thought he said "How are you guys at EQing." Anyway I EQ with my bass, mid and treble knob. How do you do it?????

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12