Hey all,

I recently bought a used Ibanez Artcore AFS75T. I love the feel and sound of the guitar, but I mostly bought the guitar to be a rockabilly/country/jazz machine, and while the neck pickup has a nice, warm, jazzy tone, I think the bridge pickup is sort of brittle/muddy and lacking for the rockabilly side of things. I saw a demo on youtube where a guy had put GFS Classic II Alnico 2 Vintage Humbuckers in the thing and it sounded really nice, but I was thinking of just putting a GFS Surf 90 Rockabilly p-up in the bridge position because it not only emulates the sound of an old Dynasonic perfectly, but would also be less expensive.

Now, I'm not a genius when it comes to guitar wiring - the Surf 90 is a single coil that fits in a humbucker slot, and the pickup I have in the bridge is a humbucker. Should I get another single coil p-up so that the middle pickup setting will sound balanced? I'm not sure how to get the best possible tone out of this thing. I could get two Surf 90s but I don't know how great a neck position Surf 90 would sound for jazz. I just want a nice well-rounded guitar.

Any suggestions?

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Surf-90-Alnico-II-Rockabilly-Pickups_c_259.html

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Classic-II-Alnico-2-Vintage-Wound-Nickel-Humbucker-_c_88.html

Also - I've got some acoustic ringing (sounds like its from below the bridge) when I play my 2nd string high up on the neck. Is this normal and how can I stop it? It's really only annoying when I'm not plugged in.

Thanks everybody!
GFS Pickups are awesome. I have them on nearly all my electrics and have been very happy with them. I have an artcore which I modded with the retrotron pickups, sounded great but the wring was an absolute pain in the butt. so do youre research fisrt, because you'll have to wire a harness and pull it through the f holes.

http://www.kevinyates.com/ES_335_re-wire/index.html

hope some of that helps. as for the actual pickup itself i can't see it being a problem that you want a s/c in the bridge.
this might help: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=tele_1sing_1humneck
Blackstar HT 5
George Dennis Spitfire 2x10
LTD GL 200M
Agile Ghost III
Warmoth SSS Tele with Floyd Rose
Ibanez Artcore AM73
I <3 Arcade Fire, Rainbow, Dungen, Muse, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Kate Bush etc.
ROCK OPERA!!
UG Rock Opera tracks
Quote by SMTHSCN
just be aware that because it's a hollow body, you're gonna have a very awkward time to install a new pickup, but otherwise, the either pickup is fine man

when i swapped the pups on my artcore, long ago before i knew SQUAT about stuff, i just cut the wires at the pup and spliced these in (soldered). i have never gone back and fixed it, but they sound great. so if the TS is worried at all about getting the pots out, that is an option.
Thanks for your replies guys.

I am seriously thinking about just replacing both pickups with Surf 90s to have a really balanced sound. I am sure I can play jazz on the thing and it won't sound horrendous. Apparently the Surf 90s have a nice warmth/low end to them as well. I'm over-thinking it just because working with a hollowbody is such a b!@#$.
I used to have that exact ibanez I just realised!

I really miss that guitar sometimes, I traded it for a les paul, which is way more suitable to my play style, but that ibanez just this realy...soul.

mine would buzz, the intonation was hit and miss, and restringing it was a bitch, and yet, it was worth it for that hollowbody sound!

Hope your project goes well dude, keep me posted with a PM!
Quote by SMTHSCN
I used to have that exact ibanez I just realised!

I really miss that guitar sometimes, I traded it for a les paul, which is way more suitable to my play style, but that ibanez just this realy...soul.

mine would buzz, the intonation was hit and miss, and restringing it was a bitch, and yet, it was worth it for that hollowbody sound!

Hope your project goes well dude, keep me posted with a PM!

Yeah I absolutely love the "feel" of the guitar. It's got some power to it, ya know? Mine doesn't buzz really it just sort of has a weird metallic ringing noise that I know is the string below the bridge vibrating. Not sure how to fix that.

I love the feel and sound of it but I know those stock p-ups are holding it back. I wish I was more decisive. I am going to spend the rest of the week thinking about exactly what I want to do with it and then probably order the p-ups after my birthday. I have this sort of weird OCD thing with guitar modding apparently. It's like, I can't just leave one of the stock p-ups in or something, I have to replace them both. Is there another Retrotron/GFS single coil that would be nice to put in the neck position and have a big, warm jazz sound and would mix well with the Surf 90?
I wouldn't worry about the difference between a P-90 and a non-P-90 really. I've got a Les Paul with the Mean 90 in the neck and a Seymour Duncan SH-4 in the bridge and after tweaking the pickup heights they balance just fine. Sounds good too!

I also like the Dream 180's I put in my AM73T, but those I wired for coil tap...and might not be what you want in any case.

As for that "buzz" or whatever, that might be one of the rollers on the bridge. I get something like that on my AF75TDG and I'm about 95% sure it's a roller. I'm thinking about getting a GFS roller bridge to replace it (http://guitarfetish.com/Archtop-Roller-Bridge-Gold-Rose-Wood-Base_p_97.html). I got a similar one for the AM73T and it's worked out great so far, no buzzing or other noises at all.
Oh, and for replacing JUST the pickups...just do like the one guy said, pull out the old ones, cut the leads a ways down (leaving enough attached to the pickups to be able to re-attach the old ones if you wanted to later...say a couple inches) and solder the new pickup leads to what's left in the guitar. Shouldn't cause any issues if you tape it well and a lot easier than trying to pull and replace those pots (I know what I am talking about, I did it 4 times on the AM73T...stupid me).
+1 on Preacher
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Depends, I don't know what pickups go good with plywood. EMGs will make it sound like every other EMG guitar though.

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood