I found a Gibson Les Paul Studio guitar and case for $650. The seller says its in mint condition, but its not really the color (wine red) I have been looking for. I'm thinking about getting it, but just wanted to get some feedback on whether or not the price is that great. Anybody else ever buy a used Gibson Les Paul Studio?

Here are the two photos (low quality) that the ad came with..
Attachments:
g01.jpg
g02.jpg
looks like a good deal, my cousin used to own that guitar and it played very good, the neck wasnt too fat and it was quite light.

in my opinion tho the alpine white is the best studio there is out there, the ebony fretboard is just too sexy.
sounds like a killer deal

tappooh did u see buckethead in april live?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
From the pics the color looks like Worn Cherry, make sure it is Wine Red, otherwise you should get it cheaper (Worn Cherry would mean it's a Faded, while still a great guitar, it costs a good bit less than the normal Studios).
I don't think it looks like a Faded Worn Cherry, I think it is IS a Faded Worn Cherry. I had one. And as far as I know the Red Wine model has gold hardware.

I don't know how much this guitar retails in the U.S., but here in Italy the Faded Worn series is much cheaper than the normal Studios (600/650€ instead of 900&euro.

So, I don't know how good this deal is...

I had that guitar and I loved it, but I had to change the tuners (it used to go easily out of tune, especially the G string) with Grover Rotomatic Locking, and I found a faulty fret that needed a bit of leveling.

So, be sure to check out how much does that guitar retail brand new then decide. "Faded Worn" are only in Cherry and Brown colors.
Last edited by davidrf at Aug 23, 2011,
Quote by JesusCrisp
From the pics the color looks like Worn Cherry, make sure it is Wine Red, otherwise you should get it cheaper (Worn Cherry would mean it's a Faded, while still a great guitar, it costs a good bit less than the normal Studios).

Yeah, if it's a worn cherry, then it's NOT a good deal.

A few years ago I got a used black Les Paul Studio made in 2006. It was only a year old when I got it. I got it for about $800. It wasn't a steal, but it was better than buying a new one
Quote by davidrf
I don't think it looks like a Faded Worn Cherry, I think it is IS a Faded Worn Cherry. I had one. And as far as I know the Red Wine model has gold hardware.

I don't know how much this guitar retails in the U.S., but here in Italy the Faded Worn series is much cheaper than the normal Studios (600/650€ instead of 900&euro.

So, I don't know how good this deal is...

I had that guitar and I loved it, but I had to change the tuners (it used to go easily out of tune, especially the G string) with Grover Rotomatic Locking, and I found a faulty fret that needed a bit of leveling.

So, be sure to check out how much does that guitar retail brand new then decide. "Faded Worn" are only in Cherry and Brown colors.

Not only.

Still, from the pictures it looks like a Faded which, while it is a good guitar, you should get cheaper than that.
That's the faded so 650 used for it is overpriced
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
You can get a new faded from guitar center for $700 with a coupon.
I am also sure it's a faded LP Studio. Here at GC they sold new for $699.00 or less when there were sales. Add $100.00 for a Gibson HSC new, $60.00 for an after market HSC new and only about $40.00 for a used HSC. I have bought HSCs for less than $30.00.

I have recently bought a few of these Gibson LP faded/worn LP Studios with and with out cases for way less. $250.00 to $300.00 off Craig's List. I resold them for $350.00 to $400.00 ea and that was hard because people do not have disposable cash and are just not buying these days. I paid $600.00 for an LP Standard just two weeks ago. Keep looking on CL with people finding them selves short on cash more and more, especially these days you can really score the deals when you wave some cash around. The prices of used high end stuff has come down about 30% since last year. I get the same story from a lot of the guys I am buying guitars from. "your the only one to answer my ad" They should never say that because you know they are desperate to deal. No one really has the cash to spend so not many ads get answered.

Right now is one of the best buyers markets, take advantage of it and look around be prepared to negotiate and walk away if you have to don't cave in if they are selling they NEED the money. So many people call me a week later and ask if i still want the guitar for what I offered. I have been doing this for 30+ years and have made a good living doing it as a side business it's easier these days with CL back in the day you had to buy a classified magazine usually only B&W pics!
John

“A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows public opinion”
pretty bad deal imo.

with case, i'd offer $400 and pay maybe $450 if i loved the neck. good luck.

fwiw those necks, being unglossed, feel really nice imo. ymmv.

edit: the new models of those, for only a few bucks more actually have a maple top on them. the older ones like that are all mahogany builds. so that may be worth the extra few bucks to you.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 23, 2011,
I'm just going to pass on the guitar and wait for something better.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone,
Quote by SeattleSound
I'm just going to pass on the guitar and wait for something better.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone,

It's still a good guitar, man. Maybe you should make an offer. $400 maybe. If the guy is willing to reasonably negotiate, then you might be able to get a good guitar on the cheap.
Yeah the idea is not bad! Try to tell the seller his price is too high (because it is) and see if he's willing to lower it. As a said, I had a Faded Worn Cherry that I bought brand new and it had one or two issues, but in the end is a good guitar.