I was wondering if there is an acoustic band/artist that find the happy medium between impressive acoustic playing and good vocals? I haven't really found one. I can find bands with great vocals but the guitar is very basic. Then there are the guys that play jaw dropping melodies but don't sing a note. :/
Try listening to some Bert Jansch!

"Blackwaterside" - which in the hands of Jimmy Page became Black Mountainside...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkX7Q2J7k48

Neil Young (who also does some cool acoustic stuff) described him as doing for the acoustic guitar what Hendrix did for the electric

He does a lot of live stuff which is jaw-dropping, especially with John Renbourn (who is also well worth looking into, but he plays more traditional stuff these days). Their old band, Pentangle, is a more rounded out version of that. I've been listening to a lot of British folk revival stuff recently, there are some gems
He doesn't get too much credit in this regard, but go look at Dave Matthews a little bit. While some of his tunes are just chord progressions like everyone else does, a few of them are fairly tricky licks that he sings over.

"The Stone" by Dave Matthews is one of my favorite songs. Lyrically its a pretty amazing song, imo, but the guitar work isn't too shabby either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suK1v3R_cPs
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
City and Colour

Dallas Green can play the hell out of his guitar and is one of the best singer's I've heard.
Quote by TheAviator363
City and Colour

Dallas Green can play the hell out of his guitar and is one of the best singer's I've heard.

One of my favorite bands/artist. His songs are relatively easy but with a voice like that guitar playing doesn't matter much x] Also I'm not talking about just solo artists here.
Quote by demonsage
I was wondering if there is an acoustic band/artist that find the happy medium between impressive acoustic playing and good vocals? I haven't really found one. I can find bands with great vocals but the guitar is very basic. Then there are the guys that play jaw dropping melodies but don't sing a note. :/

I personally think "Tesla" is one of the most underrated bands; they have a great sound, do really good things with acoustics, and their singer has a great voice. And I am not just talking about the 5 Man Acoustic Jam album either.
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
Quote by TheAviator363
City and Colour

city and colour is amazing

I would suggest some death cab songs like "title and registration"
john butler?
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal
Frank Turner does some surprisingly intricate stuff too.
Joe Robinson is amazing. If you haven't heard of him, search for him on youtube. He got voted "Best New Talent" in Guitar World Magazine 2010. Amazing fingerstyle guitarist and he have also started making vocal based music. I believe his next album will contain vocals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqMMjddd27Q
Boyce Avenue are (mainly) a cover band with alot of views (#2nd most viewed band on youtube behind LINKIN PARK!!!). They have a few albums out but most of their covers are acoustic and are really good. I dont listen to most of them because I dislike most pop music but there are a few songs which are really good ex, rolling in the deep, every teardrop is a waterfall, here without you, wonderwall etc.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Boyce Avenue are (mainly) a cover band with alot of views (#2nd most viewed band on youtube behind LINKIN PARK!!!). They have a few albums out but most of their covers are acoustic and are really good. I dont listen to most of them because I dislike most pop music but there are a few songs which are really good ex, rolling in the deep, every teardrop is a waterfall, here without you, wonderwall etc.

I guess I did know these guys when I looked them up I saw a familial face but more on topic they make amazing covers.
John Butler... Guitar playing is brilliant, bit limited in his vocal range but it fits his music perfectly.
Also try Jeff Lang? He has some cool stuff too
My current acoustic group:

Fiftieth Parallel

Martin Guitars
Elixer Strings
Acoustic amplification
BOSS pedals

Have you ever heard of Ben Howard? He's a solo singer/songwriter who plays and sings. His stuff is pretty impressive in terms of vocals and guitar. Check him out.
Fuck the system - Use non-standard tunings!

"Now the guitar is no more than a cowbell, so easy to play, that there is no stable lad who is not a musician on the guitar" Inquisitor Covarrubias 1611
i know feelings for and against john mayer are very strong, but if youve ever heard a few of his songs like "neon" or "1983" he has some very interesting guitar parts and has a very cool voice. i also recommend "my stupid mouth". it might be that im a self taught guitarist thinking this songs are a little more towards the difficult side but its always worth a try right?