Hey guys, so my band have this song and the solo starts out in the G major scale, but then goes to the E minor pentatonic for a little bit, then back to the G major. Is this seen as 'correct' or 'acceptable' in terms of theory? Can anyone give me more examples of scale switching during songs?
If it sounds cool, doesn't matter
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
well they are relative to each other

and everything is acceptable in music

i dont feel like listing a bunch of songs that switch scales in it
but i do it a bit in the song"cloudy day" in my youtube channel
I do this all the time in my songs. If it works, do it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Yeah I think it's the same scale?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
should be fine

good luck at your gig
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Yeah, Em and G are relative so it's fine. Not to mention I try to take less notice of scales sometimes. I've written solos that go to C from Dm and even then I'll put a few F#s in for the lulz.

Don't get too hung up on scales. If it sounds good, what's the problem?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Everyone who's saying "it's relative" is wrong. There is no debate, no reasoning that you can bring to this: you are wrong.

TS: If the song is in G major then you're just playing G major. Unless there's an actual key change, a proper modulation, in the song then it's all G major. The notes that are in Em pentatonic are also in G major, true, but just because it looks like E minor pentatonic to you doesn't mean it is.

If you really want to be properly pedantic about it then you could say you're using G major pentatonic but since the pentatonics are just the diatonic scales with all the risk taken out... it's all G major.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

All this "playing the realtive major/minor" bollocks is just that, bollocks.

Your chord progression defines your tonal centre, and that in turn defines the root of any scales you will be using.

If the piece resolves to G major then the notes E F# G A B C D are the G major scale. Where you start playing, finish playing or whaterver order you play them in or pattern you us...it's all irrelevant. Unless you change that underlying harmony by re-arranging the chords to force the resolution elsewhere you won't change the tonal centre and those notes won't stop being G major
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Zaphod and Steven, I love you guys. I was about making a long explanation how the "relative" was BS but you made an amazing job in doing so. Instead of the explanation you two derserve the official seal of basic music knowledge. xD
LOOK!

At the post above this signature

Quote by Floods_Solo
Lol. If insomniac's were called something less cool like "cock lords" or something I bet there would be significantly less people claiming to be it.
Zap and the Bird are right. It's not about positions, it's about notes and keys. Wish I could say more but they nailed it.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.