I'm looking into buying a new guitar at the moment and one of the guitars thats an option doesn't have fret markers on the neck (although it does have the little dots on the side of the neck)

I just wanted to see what your views are on markerless necks and if it affects your playing at all?

I'll give it a try before I buy but its gonna be a while before I get the chance to.
Hi, I'we been playing a gibson w/o fretmarkers for years now, a little wierd in the beginning but after a while you will not notice it at all
I have two guitars without markers. It really doesn't make a difference, other than looking cooler.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Depends on if you look at the fret markers on your guitar currently. If you use the dots for reference go for it, if you use the markers make sure to try it.
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
My second guitar only has a fret marker on the 12th fret, but it does have the dots. I don't think not having fret markers was ever an issue; when I first got it, the dots on the top sufficed, and before long you learn the layout of the guitar.
e-single
My acoustic-electric CF Martin has no fret markers and it is pretty cool! You just gotta get used to it
Fender Deluxe 72' Telecaster w/ SD SH-4 JB
humbucker in the bridge position running through....
--
Crate FlexWave 120H
Marshall 1960A 4x12
Boss TU-3
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
BBE Green Screamer
MXR m109 6-band EQ
MXR m135 Smart Gate
A couple of my guitars are like that - like the last guy said, you'll get used to it.

You'll probably realise pretty quickly that you don't actually look at them much, and when you're stood up playing you can probably see the dots on the side of the neck better than the markers on the fretboard anyway
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Cheers guys!

Its an Ibanez ARZ 700.

It was a thought that just popped into my head and I'm at work and I can't really remember how much I look at the markers or not and I couldnt figure out if it'd be a problem
you shouldn't be looking at the front your neck anyway, as long as there are dots on the side you should be fine, if you are used to playing standing up you most likely won't even notice they aren't there

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
You don't need them.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
It would actually sound better. it would make slides easier. Might even make the notes sound clearer.
Quote by DrakeTheOne
It would actually sound better. it would make slides easier. Might even make the notes sound clearer.

Under what logic, exactly? I thought that it made no difference.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
Under what logic, exactly? I thought that it made no difference.

I'm using reference to a fretless bass. and I may be getting confused. do you mean the dots, or the actual fret markers? (The wires that separate the frets)
Quote by DrakeTheOne
I'm using reference to a fretless bass. and I may be getting confused. do you mean the dots, or the actual fret markers? (The wires that separate the frets)

That is the fret.
Actually, the space between is the fret. But if it's the dots, yeah, you shouldn't need them. Those are really for people who are learning the neck. or if you are trying to figure out what a guy is playing.
Quote by DrakeTheOne
Actually, the space between is the fret. But if it's the dots, yeah, you shouldn't need them. Those are really for people who are learning the neck. or if you are trying to figure out what a guy is playing.

You are sadly mistaken sir, the wire is the fret.

Any ways, you likely won't notice. It's usually easier to use the dots on the sides of the neck rather than the markers on the fret board any ways.
I have to disagree with pretty much everyone in the thread. I just got my first Agile 8 and it having no fret markers is really annoying. It might have to do with there being 2 extra strings on the guitar as well, but it's actually really annoying. I get kind of lost. I already ordered some of those inlay stickers for it
Quote by DrakeTheOne

No, that's the fretboard. When you fret a note, you are pressing the string against the fret. The fretboard only exist to hold the fretwire in place(although they also exist for aesthetics and for neck strength in some cases.
Quote by Levi79
I have to disagree with pretty much everyone in the thread. I just got my first Agile 8 and it having no fret markers is really annoying. It might have to do with there being 2 extra strings on the guitar as well, but it's actually really annoying. I get kind of lost. I already ordered some of those inlay stickers for it

Give it some time. Look at a classical guitar, they don't have inlays or even dots to show where you are, but classical players are all over the place on that neck.

Give yourself a chance to learn something a little different, it will make you more familiar with the neck.
It's even more confusing when you play a guitar with "tree of life"-style inlays. Try finding the 10th fret on that.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Don't do it. If you don't have inlays your tone will go to shit, you won't know what you're playing so you'll go insane, and your father will rape your dog!

Seriously though, it's not that big a deal. You should learn to play without them anyway, it might help you memorize the fretboard more easily. Which will be good for you in the long run.
I learned without fretboard inlays, and I find them confusing on the rare occasions when I actually look at them. I do find side dots handy, but not essential.