So I got this mysterious guitar body somewhere in China, it was black to start with I've sanded the guitar down. I have yet to know what to do to finish the guitar, since I don't know what's suitable to "seal" the stain, or clear coat it.

So here is 2 pictures, I had to really sand it down because the wood was sealed even without the paint. I applied one coat of < Minwax Water Based Wood Stain > and this is how it turned out.

I would like to know what I should do. Do i need to use lacquer? apply sealer before? Or just spray a can of clear coat and call it a day

I'd sand it some more until you got all the old finish off. I'm pretty sure that's that the spots are that didn't stain.

And then I'd maybe use some tru oil or something to finish it, but I don't know how it interacts with stain
Yeah that's what I'm going to do, I was thinking of trying it on the back first, I'm going to apply the stain on the front today. Hopefully I find a good finishing method.

Would anyone recommend using household nitrocellulose you can purchase at home and hardwarevstores?
Quote by W4RP1G
I'd sand it some more until you got all the old finish off. I'm pretty sure that's that the spots are that didn't stain.

And then I'd maybe use some tru oil or something to finish it, but I don't know how it interacts with stain

+1 The areas that aren't staining still have sealer on them

As for stain and tru-oil. It works, but start with a very thin coat to avoid the oil lifting the stain too much.
So i attempted to sand off the sealed spots, and no luck... Also the sides are super hard to sand off, and i've decided to just give up and let it stay lol My main concern right now is how rough the wood is. There are a lot of scratch marks upon closer inspection. My cheap sander is starting to give out, and i've spent way too much time attempting to smoothen out the surface. In the end, I've decided to just apply the stain on the whole body.

Thing with tru-oil, is that it seems like a good idea if the area is smooth, but a rough surface with scratch marks are probably not a good idea eh? However, it does seem a lot easier to do than getting layers and layers of lacquer on!! This is a big dilemma I must say.

Thanks so much for the input everybody!
Quote by howangcturtle
Thing with tru-oil, is that it seems like a good idea if the area is smooth, but a rough surface with scratch marks are probably not a good idea eh?

Thats true with any finish though.
If they were lead than I probably might have breathed them in lol Anyways I honestly couldn't stop thinking about the project, so i literally re-sanded it to perfection (my arms/hands ouch!)

I also attempted to do this at the back of the guitar for fun. Couldn't seem to get the stain NOT to seep through the tape,any suggestions? ()