He's got a short interview in Guitar magazine... a couple bullet points on his instruments:

The Les Paul he uses and has used for more of his studio work than any other guitar he bought used. Some dude showed up at a gig with all this gear looking to sell any of it because of some legal problems. Kravitz bought it all on the spot and its become his favorite axe

Someone asked him: I saw you play live once and your sound and tone was amazing. Whats the secret to your live sound?

Kravitz: Once I was playing with a really big artist (he wouldnt say who) and the guy asked him how he got that amazing guitar effect? That tone is so amazing." Kravitz said it was Les Paul straight into a [Fender] Deluxe. No pedals and no processing.

This tickled me. Im a new player... barely been playing 2 years and one on electric. Around Christmas I bought the Fender Blues Delux reissue tube amp because the Line6 Spider the kid at GC sold me is pretty crappy and everything sounds clangy and electronic. With the new tube amp the LP I play (Gibson Studio) sounds a little weak on the clean channel but with just the amp's stock drive channel turned up past 8 oh my lord it growls and howls and sings and moans. Its really an awesome sound. Its invigorated my playing and inspires me to practice even more.

Anyone else favor this kind of setup? Simple and raw? (sure as hell aint cheap )
he of tranquil mind
My setup is pretty simple
Guitar-tuner-wah-isp-mesa=Br00tz
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
I used to be one to promote that plug in and play style. Then I got sucked into the magnificent world of effects pedals.
Ehm , for me bedroom guitarist.

Blackheart Killer Ant + My LTD sounds really good too my ears.
I would know how a telecaster sounds with the Ant because I think the LTD is a little bit metal-isky.
Used to play metal when I was young(er).
Now I found my love into softrock , jazz , blues etc..
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
No, I like me some effects (although I eventually did step away from the Boss distortion/overdrives and the Digitechs)

I do however use a pretty basic setup, which includes my Musicman fatstrat and a Fender Blues Jr. but since it doesn't have a gain channel I also tend to use my Emma Reeza overdrive a lot, so yeah -> the idea's basically the same because there's guitar, amp and gain (and some sweet, sweet Fender reverb which I also use quite often). All the other pedals I own (delay, compression, fuzz, etc.) are really "side"-pedals: they sure make playing a lot more fun, but I don't use them all the time and they're not an essential part of my tone

I know a lot of guitarists who, a la Lenny Kravitz, find their "holy grail" and then rarely stray from it, whereas other guitarists eventually do find themselves in the position where the gear they once held sacred just isn't good enough for 'em anymore (I for one just LOVE my tone, but my amp can't handle any Tool and such, so I know I'll be looking for a more versatile amp in the future). There's tone-chasing aficionado's like Eddie van Halen (also a guy who doesn't use a lot of effects) who still change their setup after having been around for decades :O

Like you said you haven't been playing all that long, so it's not really relevant whether you use a lot of effects right now because you might in the future as you progress and start digging into some new music, techniques and sounds. The thing is tho -> if your guitar sound is already sh*tty you probably won't be able to fix that by kicking in a flanger or something: even if you're into effects and all you'll always have to start from a solid basic setup (your "default tone" if you will) or the magic just won't be there, so in a way I kinda agree with the whole "less is more" principle

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Aug 23, 2011,
I have a multi-fx unit, but I rarely use it, and never for distortion. I plug my guitars straight into my amp (Marshal AVT100) and just use the clean, OD1 & OD2 channels to get the sound I want.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
To be honest I'd probably come off as a much better player if I had less things on the floor!

Whenever I gig I'm always focused on what I'm needing to stomp on next, but when it's just me and an Amp I dial it in to the best possible sound and am generally much better looking, and sometimes playing, when live.

I think as a guitarist it's impossible to not enjoy the whole "amp, guitar, that is all" approach. Even if you don't use it or something, it's hard to say that a cranked valve amp into a solid guitar doesn't sound good!
Quote by shwilly
No, I like me some effects (although I eventually did step away from the Boss distortion/overdrives and the Digitechs)

I do however use a pretty basic setup, which includes my Musicman fatstrat and a Fender Blues Jr. but since it doesn't have a gain channel I also tend to use my Emma Reeza overdrive a lot, so yeah -> the idea's basically the same because there's guitar, amp and gain (and some sweet, sweet Fender reverb which I also use quite often). All the other pedals I own (delay, compression, fuzz, etc.) are really "side"-pedals: they sure make playing a lot more fun, but I don't use them all the time and they're not an essential part of my tone

I know a lot of guitarists who, a la Lenny Kravitz, find their "holy grail" and then rarely stray from it, whereas other guitarists eventually do find themselves in the position where the gear they once held sacred just isn't good enough for 'em anymore (I for one just LOVE my tone, but my amp can't handle any Tool and such, so I know I'll be looking for a more versatile amp in the future). There's tone-chasing aficionado's like Eddie van Halen (also a guy who doesn't use a lot of effects) who still change their setup after having been around for decades :O

Like you said you haven't been playing all that long, so it's not really relevant whether you use a lot of effects right now because you might in the future as you progress and start digging into some new music, techniques and sounds. The thing is tho -> if your guitar sound is already sh*tty you probably won't be able to fix that by kicking in a flanger or something: even if you're into effects and all you'll always have to start from a solid basic setup (your "default tone" if you will) or the magic just won't be there, so in a way I kinda agree with the whole "less is more" principle
very good feedback... Im enjoying everyone's responses. Thanks.

Variety is good... I cant bring myself to dump my spider amp. I rag on it all the time and the poor quality of the sound, but its got an echo, phlange, delay... a bunch of cool effects. I never jam with this amp, execpt the rare times I bring ALL my gear up to the ski house for a weekend of getting loaded and jamming w/ friends. That aside I dont jam with it, and only use it because its the only amp that takes my headphones.
he of tranquil mind
Quote by fly135
If you think it sounds good now, you should try it with one of these...
yea... Ive already let the Mrs know there is an overdrive pedal in my future.

Do you use that on the drive channel? The clean? Both? I have a Fender Delux tube amp... so do run that pedal between the guitar and amp (I do have a Vox wah so I'm not totally pedal-less) or do I put that in the effects loop (something I havent messed with.... yet).

This stuff is addicting. I sit here at work dreaming about practicing scales...
he of tranquil mind
I have a epi les paul and a Fender Mustang 1.

I dont really like my amp. I have been able to get nice tones out of it, but it takes a wile and alot of work to tune it to get the sound I like. I wanted to buy the vox VT instead, but they were sold out. If i had to do it again i would get the VT.

That said, les pauls are pretty badass man. I love my guitar, it can play any and i mean any genre of music.

I need to get a better amp and maybe change the rear pickup to something hotter later
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
Quote by reggaebassman
I have a epi les paul and a Fender Mustang 1.

I dont really like my amp. I have been able to get nice tones out of it, but it takes a wile and alot of work to tune it to get the sound I like. I wanted to buy the vox VT instead, but they were sold out. If i had to do it again i would get the VT.

That said, les pauls are pretty badass man. I love my guitar, it can play any and i mean any genre of music.

I need to get a better amp and maybe change the rear pickup to something hotter later

yea man... Warren Haynes, Slash, Bob Marley and Jimmy Page... all play the LP. Quite a lot of different sounds and vibes there
he of tranquil mind
about a year ago i was running a huge pedalboard but eventually i realised it was actually pretty pointless for what i do and just makes it harder to transport your rig around. i guess a simple setup just works better for me.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by fishmike
Do you use that on the drive channel? The clean? Both? I have a Fender Delux tube amp... so do run that pedal between the guitar and amp (I do have a Vox wah so I'm not totally pedal-less) or do I put that in the effects loop (something I havent messed with.... yet)...

Guitar -> Wah -> OD -> Amp

Use it on both the clean and crunch channels. Stacking/cascading distortion works. Let your ear be the judge.
right now im just guitar to distortion to amp...gonna get a wah soon tohugh
I always thought I need a huge setup with every possible effect. Today I'm glad I never had the money to do so. Basically I think I can do with an overdrive, wah, and maybe a fuzz. Also thinking about a 10-band EQ for further tone shaping, no idea if I really need it though.
And I've always been a Morello fan, so I might get a Whammy and a delay too at some point, but there is so much else (mostly guitars) I also want and feel I have more use for them.

But actually I think I'm not that much of an effects-guy myself.
Guitar into the amp, maybe boosted or with some fuzz and a wah for soloing and I'm pretty happy.
Quote by JesusCrisp
I always thought I need a huge setup with every possible effect. Today I'm glad I never had the money to do so.

same here except i managed to find the money to go out and buy a bunch of random FX pedals and a giant board to fit them on, somehow

but it's always useful to have a whole bunch of things stored away just in case i might need them for something, i guess.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
same here except i managed to find the money to go out and buy a bunch of random FX pedals and a giant board to fit them on, somehow

but it's always useful to have a whole bunch of things stored away just in case i might need them for something, i guess.
ha.. Ive only been doing this for 2 years and just one with the electric stuff, and I see incapable of letting go of old equipment. Sometimes I just like making different noises
he of tranquil mind
I agree, less is definitely more!

Do we really need all those pedals? I've got 3 and I feel like it's a lot!

I use a fuzz, mega distortion and a wah pedal into my amp, and I've managed to get close to, or spot on the sound I want when playing along to other peoples tracks
My setup is as simple as it gets.............

guitar -----> plexi.

No effects, no nothing.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Guitar->Amp

that is all. I have a Valveking, so I've got the effects loop mod done right now with the patch cable. I don't have the need for pedals though, so its ok
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by Blompcube

Yeh I made this mistake when I was younger. Several years later I'm still discovering pedals in the closet/attic and selling them on eBay haha. Every time I dig out another pedal, I have to ask myself "what were you thinking buying *insert pedal name here* lol.
Like you say though, it can be useful, I recently found the need to split my signal to two amps, and voila I found a Boss loop selector in my closet that fitted the bill perfectly.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
I try to keep pedals to a minimum seeing as my sound doesn't really call for it. To be honest, it's all subjective some guitars use pedals as instruments creating a science behing their delays / echoes / loops etc. If we're talking strictly rock n' roll. I favor the less is more sound. Hundreds of people have played Marshall's and Les Paul's ; and the tone is all different. It's all in the hands. The less processed the better in my opinion. I run my Les Paul into a Jubilee ; which usually sits at 7-8 volume-wise. I have an Octave Pedal / Fuzz Pedal ; looking an adding an overdrive and a Univibe-clone. The quest for tone is never-ending though. I'd totally like a killer analog tape echo...