Page 1 of 2
I would go with 3/4 size. you can actually get some decent ones...

Definitely don't get half sized though, they are crap.
3/4 fo sho'.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
I'd suggest taking her into a music store and trying out both. If a full size isn't too too big, then go with it.
3/4 is very underrated. theyre great instruments, work well for adults too
Quote by thehikingdude
I'd suggest taking her into a music store and trying out both. If a full size isn't too too big, then go with it.

This.
I would likely recommend a 3/4, due to the small size of a child (a girl especially), but they will out grow it, where as a full size will likely last them longer. If they can handle a full size one, go with that.
I watched a few weeks ago while a man with his son picked out a new guitar for the youngster. He was about 6, and average size for that age. He was trying out an Epi Les Paul - full size. He had no issues with the full size guitar, and as a matter of fact, he was damn good. I was astounded.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Daisy Rock

Daisy Rock is a guitar company that makes guitars and accessories for girls. Some of the guitars are decent. Miley used to play one when she was a little girl way before Hannah Montana. They also make $149 toys like the one that's shaped like a butterfly.
3/4's +1, i had to teach some young kids about 8-10 how to play, when i was in highschool for a project, and they had some difficultly with a full size strat. i dont think ive ever even seen a 1/2 size lol
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Quote by OurRequiem
3/4's +1, i had to teach some young kids about 8-10 how to play, when i was in highschool for a project, and they had some difficultly with a full size strat. i dont think ive ever even seen a 1/2 size lol

The one I posted claims to be half size, but there's no way. It must be a typo, that's definitely 3/4.
my 8 yr old niece and all her friends
use daisy rock and 3/4 sized guitars.

and a tiny Honeytone mini amp
or one of mine.

also
if she's never played before make sure
you get the lightest strings possible.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Get a 3/4
Fender Deluxe 72' Telecaster w/ SD SH-4 JB
humbucker in the bridge position running through....
--
Crate FlexWave 120H
Marshall 1960A 4x12
Boss TU-3
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
BBE Green Screamer
MXR m109 6-band EQ
MXR m135 Smart Gate
Quote by Jesse0315
3/4's would be best. I have a brother that is 8 and his guitar is 3/4.

yup, 3/4's would be better choice for girl.
It really will depend on how big your daughter's hands are. But since you can't get to a store, err on the side of caution and order the 3/4.
I don't know. My son started playing a full size squire when he was six and his rock now. Why get use to one fret spaces just to have to do it again in a couple of years. Just my opinion.
Quote by cSuttle
I don't know. My son started playing a full size squire when he was six and his rock now. Why get use to one fret spaces just to have to do it again in a couple of years. Just my opinion.

I agree 100%. I still suggest you have her try a full size guitar in one of the two small stores you have available. You really won't know until she tries one. What could it hurt? It's not like you will be forced to buy.

I started with a big box 335 clone when I was 7.
Quote by thehikingdude
I agree 100%. I still suggest you have her try a full size guitar in one of the two small stores you have available. You really won't know until she tries one. What could it hurt? It's not like you will be forced to buy.

I started with a big box 335 clone when I was 7.

That's true but we had hoped to preserve the surprise. She's wanted a guitar for years and has no idea that this is the year If we take her to a store she will know that she's getting one. If it were just a matter of that I could let her play mine. But she's far too smart and she'll figure that out as well. I think we may just her her the 3/4 and no Amp(she can practice a little acoustically save my sister and brother-in-laws poor ears). If she seems to like playing and wants to continue I will let her have a go at mine, and if she can play it we'll upgrade her to a real rig, thinking a fairly standard one a pink Strat or something and a little Fender Starcaster type amp. I actually have an old POD I can give her too as an Amp.
Last edited by DeathByPalmMute at Aug 23, 2011,
She's 8 and a girl. My girlfriend is in her 20s and her fingers are to small for a full scale guitar. She wanted to learn, so I gave her my old LTD, but she couldn't physically stretch her fingers enough to do a power chord, so she didn't like it, and I don't blame her.

All the guys saying "she should get a full scale guitar because she'll need it eventually" don't realize that it's hard enough to learn the guitar as it is, and being a child with small fingers will be even harder, and being a girl, she may never grow into a full scale guitar, depending on her size.
Quote by W4RP1G
She's 8 and a girl. My girlfriend is in her 20s and her fingers are to small for a full scale guitar. She wanted to learn, so I gave her my old LTD, but she couldn't physically stretch her fingers enough to do a power chord, so she didn't like it, and I don't blame her.

All the guys saying "she should get a full scale guitar because she'll need it eventually" don't realize that it's hard enough to learn the guitar as it is, and being a child with small fingers will be even harder, and being a girl, she may never grow into a full scale guitar, depending on her size.

I agree with this. However I disagree that your gf couldn't play a full scale if she put the time in. I've seen really small women with amazingly flexible fingers because every riff is a stretch for them.

That said, being 8, it would be much better to make the instrument as easy as possible to play. She will still build up finger strength on a 3/4 size which will make the transition to full size very easy. And she will be able to make that transition.
Quote by W4RP1G

I've been giving lessons for close to 30 years and I can say that without a doubt that is not the norm. That includes both boys and girls. You may need to check your action. On your guitar that is.
Quote by DeathByPalmMute
That's true but we had hoped to preserve the surprise. She's wanted a guitar for years and has no idea that this is the year If we take her to a store she will know that she's getting one. If it were just a matter of that I could let her play mine. But she's far too smart and she'll figure that out as well. I think we may just her her the 3/4 and no Amp(she can practice a little acoustically save my sister and brother-in-laws poor ears). If she seems to like playing and wants to continue I will let her have a go at mine, and if she can play it we'll upgrade her to a real rig, thinking a fairly standard one a pink Strat or something and a little Fender Starcaster type amp. I actually have an old POD I can give her too as an Amp.

The surprise factor is a big deal for sure. Enjoy, I doubt she will see this coming!
Quote by W4RP1G
The one I posted claims to be half size, but there's no way. It must be a typo, that's definitely 3/4.

nah that's definitely a half size. It's not actually half the size but they never are it's just what they call them.
And i bought one of those as a joke for a travel guitar but honestly they're beyond terrible. The frets are in the wrong places and u can't tune to normal tuning with standard gauges cos the neck is so short.
Quote by GraceKim
Daisy Rock

Daisy Rock is a guitar company that makes guitars and accessories for girls. Some of the guitars are decent. Miley used to play one when she was a little girl way before Hannah Montana. They also make $149 toys like the one that's shaped like a butterfly.

This!!!

The Daisy Rocks have a slightly smaller body, and a smaller width neck for smaller fingers. I'm getting one for my 8yr old daughter. There are dudes with small hands who play them also. Check out youtube. There's a 9yr old girl who jams to Stairway on one. It fits her nicely.
Quote by Tune my fork
nah that's definitely a half size. It's not actually half the size but they never are it's just what they call them.
And i bought one of those as a joke for a travel guitar but honestly they're beyond terrible. The frets are in the wrong places and u can't tune to normal tuning with standard gauges cos the neck is so short.

Ok good to know so I don't get one later for my 6 year old niece.
Quote by W4RP1G

Sorry, I don't believe that. I know two girls, half my height with hands a hell of a lot smaller than mine, who both play a 36" bass. If that is true, it's not because her hands were too small, it was because she hadn't played before and didn't have the dexterity to do it. When I first started, I remember I wasn't able to play a power chord, as I lacked the co-ordination and dexterity to do it. However, it appears that difference between your girl friend and I, is that I had the patience to work at it and actually learn it, where as apparently your girl friend is a lazy bitch.
^ but on a bass you don't need to be able to play barre chords etc.

That's not to say her hands won't be big enough though...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
This.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/laguna-le50-short-scale-electric-guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oGNt2p9PoE

Even if she eventually gets a full size guitar, this one would still be useful.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
- Stephen F. Roberts
get her the full size, getting a smaller one is Discriminating sexually. ill take you to court over it... just dare me.

lul

srs bzns, get the bigger one, a bigger real guitar, will make it seem less toy like, and encourage her to spend time with a quality instrument...
guys it's not just the fretting that's an issue.

it's the weight and contour of the guitar.

which is why daisy rock is so nice.

it just fits better.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by robhc
Sorry, I don't believe that. I know two girls, half my height with hands a hell of a lot smaller than mine, who both play a 36" bass. If that is true, it's not because her hands were too small, it was because she hadn't played before and didn't have the dexterity to do it. When I first started, I remember I wasn't able to play a power chord, as I lacked the co-ordination and dexterity to do it. However, it appears that difference between your girl friend and I, is that I had the patience to work at it and actually learn it, where as apparently your girl friend is a lazy bitch.

Well, this was a civil discussion till you decided to change all that. How about you keep the name calling to yourself, totally inappropriate.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
- Stephen F. Roberts
Quote by Emperor's Child
^ but on a bass you don't need to be able to play barre chords etc.

That's not to say her hands won't be big enough though...

Though you do still need power chords, even though it may be rare for them to be used, which was the complaint in the post.

EDIT:

Quote by bkmurff
Well, this was a civil discussion till you decided to change all that. How about you keep the name calling to yourself, totally inappropriate.

The truth hurts, and I call it as I see it, I'm a whale biologist!
Last edited by robhc at Aug 24, 2011,
Quote by robhc

wow you couldnt just state your opinion without name calling?

Well, my dad can beat up your dad!

You ****ing moron, no life loser. Have a little respect and people may respect your opinion and not assume you are some childish mouth breather with too much time.
i started on a relatively short-scale classical guitar with a narrow nut when i was about 6 years old and i have girl-hands. i never had a problem with a full size guitar the occasions i got to play one, never found it any harder to play - there wasn't really that much difference between the string spacing and scale length to that of my classical guitar anyway.

maybe a shorter scale guitar could be beneficial but nothing especially small - i think it'd be beneficial to start with as near to a full size guitar as possible...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by W4RP1G
wow you couldnt just state your opinion without name calling?

Well, my dad can beat up your dad!

You ****ing moron, no life loser. Have a little respect and people may respect your opinion and not assume you are some childish mouth breather with too much time.

As I stated before, the truth hurts, and I call them how I see them.

Also, if it wasn't true, it wouldn't bother you.
Page 1 of 2