the ENGL Powerball kicks ass, unfortunatly i need something a little cheaper.
can anybody recommend me a 500-650$ head or combo that still kicks ass like the powerball, or atleast comes somewhat close.
Last edited by IbanezShredz55 at Aug 23, 2011,
Give it a couple years until the Bugera Football. Whereas most Bugera amps just catch fire, you'll instead have Manchester United and Liverpool fans burst from the amp and start rioting.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The nearest 'cheapish' thing I can think of, is the ENGL E530, they're about £450. That's only a rack mount preamp though, you'd still need a decent power amp and cab to get the most out of it. Rack gear is generally more costly anyway, so it wouldn't work out any cheaper in the long run.

EDIT -
The guy below mentioned the Fireball. That is probably the nearest head, although, I'm not sure if it's intended to be a cheaper P'ball or not. Either way, it's still expensive, and for the money it is, you may aswell save up and get the Powerball. Even used P'balls are nearly always over £1300, annoyingly .
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Aug 23, 2011,
The Fireball is the "cheaper" version, but it's not that cheap.

Just get a 5150, won't get lost in a mix like the PB.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Buy some lottery tickets?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by MatrixClaw

a what? a 'fifty one fifty', is that like german for a 6505?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
a what? a 'fifty one fifty', is that like german for a 6505?

I've looked at the insides of them both at a nearby guitar store, and a few of the Peavey guys have admitted it over the years. They're as near a makes no difference, the same thing. Only a few really minor alterations seperate them
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Aug 23, 2011,
Quote by Carl6661
I've looked at the insides of them both at a nearby guitar store, and a few of the Peavey guys have admitted it over the years. They're as near a makes no difference, the same thing. Only a few really minor alterations seperate them

always the 6505! i gotta play one of these things
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
Bugera 333XL? If you're looking for a versatile amp like the powerball. If you just want the gain channel, E530 if you aren't gigging and 6505 if you are.

funny you would say the XL thats the amp i had in mind. also what exactly do you mean by "versatile" and the combo i had in mind was the peavey vk212
I really made a smart decision to have that quote as my sig.

I'm not sure how ENGL's cheaper products stack up, but try the ENGL Screamer or the E530 Preamp.

Quote by IbanezShredz55
also is a head and a 2x12 as portable as a combo

Sure, I guess. I mean, you have to carry around 2 heavy things, but for that price, you have more versatility.

Quote by IbanezShredz55
funny you would say the XL thats the amp i had in mind. also what exactly do you mean by "versatile" and the combo i had in mind was the peavey vk212

By versatile we mean like, each cab has a different sound, in one way or another (which is about 50 50, construction and speakers). You can only change half the sound in a combo (speakers), but with a cab/head, you ca change the wood and the speakers.

PS: Valveking: not the best choice.

Especially in the class of ENGL-related products.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Last edited by NosralTserrof at Aug 23, 2011,
i've also heard that the XL has alot of reliability issues which is why im not 100% sure about this amp, anyone care to elaborate on that.
Last edited by IbanezShredz55 at Aug 23, 2011,
http://www.amtelectronics.com/products/amt_legend_amp_series/

these are pre-amps that simulate other famous amplifiers. One of them should be Fireball i think. You could try it. Not sure about the quality because i never had one of these, but it could be an option
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
If you want to stay ENGL look at the e530, although it is more voiced like the Blackmore and Savage.

Quote by MatrixClaw
The Fireball is the "cheaper" version, but it's not that cheap.

Tried the Powerball II? Not sure if it still gets lost.
WTLTL 2011