i have this guitar in wine red, its a 1997, i bought it a few years ago and ive never seen another one for sale anywhere so i was wondering are they not that common in that colour or what?
I don't think it's rare but it's less common than goldtops and bursts. You can buy one new from MF right now.
I wouldn't say it's rare. I'm pretty sure they still make wine red les pauls, just bursts are always the most popular ones.
Also, keep in mind that your guitar has different pickups to the current Les Paul standard. Maybe that's why you don't like the new ones.
Not rare by production standards, but less common.

Wine red is a much less popular compared to the more traditional looking bursts, meaning less people bought them, meaning less are in circulation on the used market.
call me ziggy.
no its the weight of the new models i dont like, i think a les paul should be heavy, and not feel the same as an epiphone weight wise
Quote by leob18c
no its the weight of the new models i dont like, i think a les paul should be heavy, and not feel the same as an epiphone weight wise

AFAIK your Les Paul is actually also weight relieved.

Also, I don't get why people complain about guitars being too light.
Aren't the Les Paul Traditionals solid bodied(i.e. not chambered, or weight relieved).
Not everyone can handle the sexiness that is a wine les paul, therefore they are only less common
Quote by JesusCrisp
AFAIK your Les Paul is actually also weight relieved.

Also, I don't get why people complain about guitars being too light.

gibson didnt start the whole chambering les pauls until 2007 or something like that

if you want a light guitar get a fender
Last edited by leob18c at Aug 23, 2011,
Quote by Ziggity
Not everyone can handle the sexiness that is a wine les paul, therefore they are only less common

are you being sarcastic
Quote by leob18c
gibson didnt start the whole chambering les pauls until 2007 or something like that

According to an article on their site they started weight-relieving in the late 80's.
Chambering means they have actual sound chambers, there's a system behind it.
The earlier weight relieving (which they still do on the Studios for example) was just about drilling big holes, people call them swiss (cheese) holes.
You can always X-ray your guitar to be 100% sure.
Quote by JesusCrisp
According to an article on their site they started weight-relieving in the late 80's.
Chambering means they have actual sound chambers, there's a system behind it.
The earlier weight relieving (which they still do on the Studios for example) was just about drilling big holes, people call them swiss (cheese) holes.
You can always X-ray your guitar to be 100% sure.

mine would be the swiss cheese method but i can tell you its a hell of a lot heavier than the new chambered ones
Not rare at all. Wine red was a standard color and in production throughout the 90s, so even if it wasn't the most popular color there were thousands made. I don't think it was unpopular, either - white and black were very popular, but from what I've seen red was right up there. They almost certainly made more red ones than those platinum ones they were selling for a while, and the bursts tended not to be that popular because they didn't really do a good one on the studios.

A quick look at Jaxed shows more wine red Studios for sale than white, sunburst, or black. That isn't even including the ones listed merely as "red."
Quote by Roc8995
Not rare at all. Wine red was a standard color and in production throughout the 90s, so even if it wasn't the most popular color there were thousands made. I don't think it was unpopular, either - white and black were very popular, but from what I've seen red was right up there. They almost certainly made more red ones than those platinum ones they were selling for a while, and the bursts tended not to be that popular because they didn't really do a good one on the studios.

A quick look at Jaxed shows more wine red Studios for sale than white, sunburst, or black. That isn't even including the ones listed merely as "red."

i really like the red myself, dont think white does a les paul justice at all
I prefer the white ones because they've got the ebony fretboard. They do often get that yellow tint after a few years though.
Quote by Roc8995
I prefer the white ones because they've got the ebony fretboard. They do often get that yellow tint after a few years though.

yeah i like them a lot when they turn yellow, like the edge's les paul custom, i think its amazing
weight relief started in 82, chambering became standard in 08. two vastly different things.

now a white standard, that's rarer than wine red standard or ebony standards. (note i said standard and not studio).
Quote by gregs1020
weight relief started in 82, chambering became standard in 08. two vastly different things.

now a white standard, that's rarer than wine red standard or ebony standards. (note i said standard and not studio).

valid point actually ive never seen a white standard
i've seen one. and the next one i see, provided it isn't screwed, i will grab and not let go.

Quote by TheBeast54
Aren't the Les Paul Traditionals solid bodied(i.e. not chambered, or weight relieved).

No, they are weight relieved. (Swiss cheese holes)
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by leob18c
heavier the better i think

And why?

Heavy weight doesn't mean good tone.
Quote by JesusCrisp
And why?

Heavy weight doesn't mean good tone.

because it feels like theres a decent quality instrument there not some light epiphone excuse that gibson are making today
Quote by leob18c
because it feels like theres a decent quality instrument there not some light epiphone excuse that gibson are making today

buy either a current VOS gibson or a pre-1982 les paul then.

they are out there, some are quite the finds honestly. others not so much. good luck.