I saw the first of the homeless Iraq/Afghanistan war veterans the other day. He was a perfectly able-bodied (even approaching overweight) male in his late 20s or early 30s, asking for money/food/help. The next day, I saw two more.

As our dear soldiers returning home, we are going to inevitably see another wave of impoverished/homeless/skill-less/maladjusted veterans. It's not news... we've many many veterans from all of our wars see their lives deteriorate after they come back to society.

So Pit, what's your take on the whole deal? There are support organizations that train and help veterans to build their education and real-world skills so that they can participate in good jobs and the like. Have any stories you'd like to share? Opinions?

Discuss.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I'd be like, "Nigga you young. Get a job, you crazy-ass mofucka."

But then again, no.

I don't particularly like people focusing on war veterans. Since the 18th century in England it's been easy to see veterans as more deserving than others when they're in poverty or homeless. It's unfair to other homeless people who may be in their circumstances for very similar reasons.
Quote by Craigo
I don't particularly like people focusing on war veterans. Since the 18th century in England it's been easy to see veterans as more deserving than others when they're in poverty or homeless. It's unfair to other homeless people who may be in their circumstances for very similar reasons.
I absolutely agree. Don't help them out because they're veterans, help them out because they need help.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
The military provides them with job skills that transfer into the real world, and the GI bill provides them with further education after they get out. If they end up homeless, its most likely something they did wrong. I know several veterans who are thriving due to the help from the government.