So I've recently joined a band that will be playing for a Hawaiian culture dance group, and I need to get lap steel guitar sounds out of my current set up (a Strat and a Vox AC15). I was wondering which type of slide will help me get the closest to the sound (eventually I'll probably end up buying a lap steel guitar, but our first show is in a week and there's no chance I'll be able to afford one and master it by then)... I figured the steel slide will help since that's what is commonly used on lap steel guitars, but I've heard some good things about the Joe Perry slide being a closer emulation for that Hawaiian sound. Suggestions???

I know the major differences in the two materials are tone/volume and feel, but can someone explain how so? Thanks!
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
yah that's what i've been thinking after hearing a few samples on youtube of strat + metal slide vs. strat + ceramic/glass... thanks!
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
glass or ceramic is pretty mellow.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Zoot Allures
Get a glass slide, and if you want you can try raising the string action properly, although they do sell 'action raisers' i think. I did it once by jamming a pencil under there but i guess it could have broken all my strings easily enough.

Gary Rossington has used screwdrivers.
And I think he still uses something like a patch cable with no ends.

OT:
I'd go glass.
Quote by CodeMonk

OT:
I'd go glass.

couldn't find my ceramic one. always have a spare!

thanks guys! I tried a few and narrowed it down to the joe perry one and a bottleneck slide, but took the bottleneck slide for aesthetic reasons. When I got home, I realized that it has a slight curve that makes it very difficult to slide all the strings at once (for open chords), so I'll be going back for the joe perry one today... I think I could put a sticker or scratch off his name or something =P