Page 1 of 2
How important do you think guitars and amps are to tone? The reason i ask is ive been an amp junkie for 10 years and have spent thousands on them, but when i think about the best tones ive heard llive, it is Mike Akerfeldt stands as my favourite guitarist in terms of time, and he uses a Laney and or marshalls.

Ive seen guys playing epiphones with diezels and i had a student playing a gibson 335 through a line 6 spyder. So how important do you think both are. A

I know that there are so many elements to tone but just n terms of these two.
They are both important. You can't really put percentages on it if that's what you're asking. A Les Paul through a JCM can sound completely different than a Strat through a JCM, and a Strat through a JCM can sound completely different than a Strat through a Twin Reverb.
A bunch of people are going to come in here and make up percentages, which is bogus, but the basic outline is that the amp matters more. Until you're up in real high-end gear, spending more on the amp than the guitar is the way to go. The analogy that someone used (can't remember who) is that the amp is the cake and the guitar is the frosting. You can get really good frosting but it's not going to make a chocolate cake vanilla, or a stale cake fresh.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
amp = 9/10
guitar=1/10

Troll.

Quote by AEnesidem
amp 6/10
guitar certainly not less than 4/10 the wood really makes a huge difference.

Troll?
Quote by AEnesidem
amp 6/10
guitar certainly not less than 4/10 the wood really makes a huge difference.

king of idiots

Guys, THERE IS NO PERCENTAGE VALUE. But yes amps are generally regarded as more important. It varies between amps as well - some amps are very transparent so the player, and everything else in the signal chain, has more of an effect on tone.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
king of idiots

Guys, THERE IS NO PERCENTAGE VALUE. But yes amps are generally regarded as more important. It varies between amps as well - some amps are very transparent so the player, and everything else in the signal chain, has more of an effect on tone.

Forgive me, I can't help it...

75% Amp =)
Twitter
Soundcloud

ESP LTD EC-500
Krank Krankenstein
Krank Krankenstein 4x12 Cabinet
Alesis M-EQ 230
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby GC95
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
How important do you think guitars and amps are to tone? ....

Well, without one or the other, you aren't going to hear much.

My amp and cabinet costs me about $1500. And I built my cabinet.
My favorite guitar cost me about $700.

Amp is 82.69% of your sound.
Guitar is 18.31% of your sound.

Mmmm...chocolate cake.

Derp.
both are equally important for different reasons

GUITAR: this is your instrument and the means of expressing your self. a guitar that plays well and can deliver your playing is obviously really important. comfortable neck and action the way you like it will result in your playing up to your full potential. if the guitar is capable of delivering your playing and getting the sound you want then you are half way there. expensive isn't critical at all as some of rocks greatest moments were made with guitars that were considered cheap or sub-par. having a guitar that will stay in tune and can be properly intonated is though.

AMP: this is pretty simple, your amp needs to be able to deliver the sound produced by your guitar. after all we are talking electric guitar and this is the part that makes it heard. having an amp that is capable of producing any sound your guitar can make and deliver it so that it is pleasing to the listener is the goal. once again having an expensive amp doesn't automatically mean you will have great tone (but it will in all probability increase that chance). once again some of rocks greatest tones were achieved using cheap amps that had little or no frills.

it always comes down to the weakest link, if your amp can't deliver the tone of the guitar then you won't sound good, if your guitar doesn't allow you to deliver your best playing then you won't play good and no amp can make up for that.
how important are the tools in which an artists or craftsman chooses to create his/her art in their preferred medium?

lets face it, i have seen people create unique and beautiful works of art with a ratty typewritter, i 'painted' a house in art class with a pencil eraser and a ink pad. you can be very creative with 'sub-optimal' supplies and can even lend you art a unique texture. just as you can make great art with high quality, conventional tools.

same thing with a craftsman, you can make objects that serve the purpose of a 'chair' and it can be very comfortable to sit on, but the tools he has available to him will determine the type of chair he can make.

it is similar with guitar: the tools you choose relate to the textures they lend and tasks they can perform. period.

edit: you are being ridiculed because your question is not accurate and is too narrow in focus
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 23, 2011,
what greg said basically.

i tend to think of tone as a chain reaction really. it starts with you playing your guitar, and it ends with the sound coming out of the speaker, and the beginning and the end of the chain along with everything in the middle is gonna alter the sound in different ways.

i say that, but most people think i sound the same no matter what amp i use, so long as i'm using the same guitar. they notice the difference between guitars, but not amps - but that's probably because i use the EQ to get the most even balance of frequencies so my guitar always sits in the same place in any live mix... and i never use very much gain either.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
depend if you play clean or gain .

on high gain setting .. id put

85 % amp ,
10 % pickup/humbucker
5 % wood .

on cleaner .. id say the wood , guitar have much more importance.
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Aug 23, 2011,
^

Quote by fly135
I can hear a guitar without an amp. But I can't hear an amp without a guitar.

maybe try a 6505?
Most of your tone will come from the amp. A Gibson les Paul will sound horrible when plugged into an mg but a Squier strat will sound better when plugged into a jcm-800.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 23, 2011,
Quote by kutless999
Most of your tone will come from the amp. A Gibson les Paul will sound horrible when plugged into an mg but a Squier strat will sound good plugged into a jcm-800.

it's not really that simple.

a really shitty guitar's shortcomings will be much more exposed by a really nice amp so it'll still sound like a shitty guitar... just into a nice amp. the reverse scenario, good guitar into bad amp, won't really sound like a good guitar into a bad amp because bad amps screw up every little detail within the signal you feed into them.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Hmm... Never thought about it like that. Thanks
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
My ears tell me that both guitar and amp can make a huge difference in various ways.

Because of its very high output pickups, my Jem will sound like crap through an amp without much headroom, especially on the bridge pickup. In such a context, it's nearly impossible to get a true clean sound without filtering it through a preamp and turning down the input. Even when playing through a really nice Dr Z that the house band guitarist uses at the open jam night I go to, I absolutely have to be sure to turn the "pre" knob down just after someone else has played through it with a Telecaster.

I noticed a huge difference between how my Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic reacts to humbucking vs. single coil guitars. I think that it already sounds quite good with a decent humbucking guitar going into it, but I have to say that the best tone I've ever gotten out of the thing is when I borrowed an old Fender Strat from a friend and plugged it in. It reacts extremely well to single coils. Godly, I must say.
Quote by Blompcube
it's not really that simple.

a really shitty guitar's shortcomings will be much more exposed by a really nice amp so it'll still sound like a shitty guitar... just into a nice amp. the reverse scenario, good guitar into bad amp, won't really sound like a good guitar into a bad amp because bad amps screw up every little detail within the signal you feed into them.

really good point and definitely true. when dealing with modeling amps it makes almost no difference what kind of guitar is used as the models see them all pretty much the same.

crap is crap and you can only do so much with it.
I know these threads are subjective but I must say this. I don't get turned on by guitars. I get turned on by amps. So if that is what I want to consider 90% of the tone then that is what I'll do.

I'd love a better guitar someday but right now it is all about the mapz
a good guitar into a crappy amp sounds crappy, a crappy guitar through a good amp sounds ok

to my ears and my logic!
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Last edited by IronMaiden76 at Aug 23, 2011,
As stated before you cant really put a specific value on importance of amp and guitar. I know people say a bad guitar will sound good through a good amp but I have tried a cheap bc rich warlock on a dual rec and couldnt get myself to smile like i normally do when i try dual recs. But playing through a spider just screws up any guitar. So while an amp is one of the most important parts of your tone you cant get by with the cheapest crapiest guitar you can find through a diezel.
I'd say the amp is more on the EQ side while the guitar has more to do with the actual type of sound you get. I have a $1700 tele that I'll be playing through a $600 Vox and that would sound better than a $600 guitar through a $1700 amp IMO.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

+1
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
They are both important. The amp gives you most of what the tone will actually sound like. The way you play will change the tone quite a bit aswell. But I think a good guitar is important because that's the thing you pickup and play, not the amp so it needs to feel good and feel nice to play.

Although I don't know much so this may all be BS
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Great guitar + great amp = sounds amazing

Shit guitar + great amp = will still sound pretty good

Great guitar + shit amp = will sound like shit
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
It is all about the mapz

+1
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I got bored with amps once I realized that no matter how good the amp I still didn't sound any better.
^effectively what i said
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by gregs1020
whatever you have that sucks the most, hurts your tone the most.

including you.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2