if i got a tube amp, and i was gonna get replacement transformers, i'd need 2, right? an output transformer, and a power transformer? and what do each of those do?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
power transformers stup the mains voltage up or down. in tube amps, it's pretty much always stepped up significantly.

output transformers are for reactance matching. they match the amp's output impedance to the speakers' impedance. if you turn on a tube amp with the speaker load disconnected, voltage swings on the primary winding of the OT will cause insulation breakdown in the secondary winding, and you will have fried the OT and possibly damaged the amp.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Aug 23, 2011,
so if i had a bugera 1960 i'd need a 100 watt power transformer and a 100 watt output transformer with 4, 8, and 16 ohm selectors?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

the OT needs to be rated for the output power, but the PT needs to be rated for the total current drawn by the amp, as well as the max DC voltage used in the amp (the lower DC voltages are divided down from the max voltage). it has pretty much nothing to do with output power.

for example (i'm just using a random number here), say the amp's max DC voltage is 500v DC for the power tubes. that means the PT must supply about 350v AC. Most PT's i've seen are center-tapped, so the PT would supply 350v center-tapped, which is a total of 700v on the secondary winding. that's some very serious juice. don't go playing around with this stuff if you dont know what you are doing (and going by this thread it seems that you dont).
lol i have no idea, but i kinda want a bugera 1960 but 150w seems a bit much, and i heard that much current melts speakers and crazy stuff like that (guy was playing and smelled burned rubber from the speaker

i'm looking at mercury magnetics to try to make sense of all this, but it's not working, lol
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

The Bugera 1960 isn't actually 150 watts, don't worry. It might put that much out with every knob on 11, but otherwise it's more like 100w. You can pull a pair of output tubes and cut it to ~55w, that's not a huge difference in volume but it'll ensure your speakers and transformers and such don't blow.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Last edited by AeolianSeventh at Aug 23, 2011,
i heard that output transformers make it sound a whole lot warmer, so i'm considering that as a mod
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Quote by IronMaiden76
i heard that output transformers make it sound a whole lot warmer, so i'm considering that as a mod

That's a little weird. Normally, to make an amp warmer you'd put in a lower-quality output transformer. A higher-quality OT will give it more treble and bass and a wider dynamic range, while a lower-rated OT will tighten the frequency response, focusing it in the mids, and compress the output slightly. So better OT: clearer and more dynamic, worse OT: warmer.
I'd say if you're going to do anything like that, though, make sure and play through the amp for a while first. Make sure it actually needs the mod before you do it.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
right, that was the plan. that's the whole reason i'm waiting for the infinium, cuz it already has a post PI master volume and cascaded gain mods
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Seems like you're on the right track here, but my addition is: don't buy a new power transformer. A new one won't sound any different unless it's got different voltages, in which case you've opened up a new can of worms. Either way, it's not worth replacing unless it's shot. The output transformer is the one to upgrade.
that sounds better, cuz i can't afford to replace both anyway
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699