So I have been playing for almost 7 years and have realized I am not quite where I want to be. I have done a variety of things but merely dipped my toes into them. I am a fast learner now and with school and a job I am finding it harder to find practice time. This is what lead to the realization that I need to make better use of my practice time, not practice more. Does anyone have any tips or guides or could any steer me in the right direction as far as creating a structured lesson plan for merely 3 hours a day (more if I am having a good day).

The hardest part for me has been making good use of my practice time and I would rather be more efficient and spend less time now. Quality over quantity reflects my needs in life at the moment so if anyone could help me out or spin me in the right direction I would appreciate it greatly
Naturally use metronome.

I suggest, much like when you are working out, writing everything in a notebook.

E.g.
at the top of the first page: "Alt. picking 16ths". And then write the speed at which you are playing. Everytime you increase speed, write it down in the notebook. Leave one age per technique.

2nd page. "Diminished arpeggio. 6-tuplet (5 string)"

same thing as with alt picking. And so on with every other technique to keep track.

Its easy to get lost between numbers otherwise.
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Last edited by hr113 at Aug 23, 2011,
Quote by hr113
Naturally use metronome.

I suggest, much like when you are working out, writing everything in a notebook.

E.g.
at the top of the first page: "Alt. picking 16ths". And then write the speed at which you are playing. Everytime you increase speed, write it down in the notebook. Leave one age per technique.

2nd page. "Diminished arpeggio. 6-tuplet (5 string)"

same thing as with alt picking. And so on with every other technique to keep track.

Its easy to get lost between numbers otherwise.

This +1 a practice journal is a good way of keeping track of where you are at with specific techniques and using a metronome to get faster/accurate is a must. As for keeping your guitar practice structured keep a small timer set to say an hour or whatever you can squeeze in and try to cover necessities in this hour. You will be surprised what you can achieve when you set a deadline, as a lot of people tend to spend time noodling or drifting about so it kind of keeps you focused.

I work full time and am married too...and only can get about 1 hour and a half in a day, so I try to make the most of it like you (mind you noticed you said three hours.. that's heaps for practice). I do about 5 minutes of a warm up and then move onto things I am not so good at and leave the things I am good at for say one or two times a week only to just touch over them. Just remember as you already said quality always beats quantity.
Last edited by ibanart300 at Aug 23, 2011,