I've just bought a house and can't bring my drum kit with me so have decided to take up Bass.

I've been pondering for weeks now on what bass to buy and so I've been doing a lot of reading (including the FAQ here).

A couple I like the look of are the "Squier James Johnston Jazz Bass" and the "Fleabass Street Bass".

In your FAQ it recommends some Squiers so I wanted to know are they any good, as I know my guitar playing friends do not rate Squier guitars.

I also know little of Fleabass and I can't find much on the net about them.

If the above guitars are no good could somebody recommend a bass that sounds similar to the Yamaha SBV 550? I saw the RBX170 was in the FAQ, but I know same brand does not necessarily equal same sound.
General consensus seems to be that Squiers punch well above their price, and that Fleabasses are terrible. I've heard good things about the lower end Yamahas too.

(Disclaimer: I have played neither bass you mention)
I hear that the squier guitars are bad, but the basses are good. Ive never actually played either of those brands though... Umm....

(trying to think of that one i played at GC...)

It might have been a squier. So yeah... I think I liked the squier.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Some of the new Squiers are very well made.
You would probably like the Vintage Modified
Jazz Bass. There are others.

Yamaha SBV 550 looks like a terrible neck diver.
Lower end PJ basses tend to be quite a
compromise. The split pole pickup usually over
powers the single pole pup.

Personally, of the new VM and CV, I like the
VM P bass. But that's the traditional Fender
bass sound. It melts my butter,

Tabdog
I've played Squier guitars -and- basses and I liked both. I love my Stratocaster. *Shrug* Never played a Yamaha bass though. I own a Yamaha keyboard which is great but not at all the same thing. Have you tried looking at some samples on a site like Youtube and comparing them?
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Vintage Modified Squier yo

Or low-mid end Ibanez Soundgears, like a SR300 or 400. (not the GSRs but the SRs). They can be found used fairly often for great prices.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Aug 23, 2011,
there are some pretty good LTDs as well for reasonable prices. Mine was $530 USD new and I honestly have played fewer basses that I feel are better.
I played a flea bass street or whatever they are called in GC and it was alright to be honest... but for the extra £50 it is, the VM squiers are way better.
I would suggest a Squier, or a used Fender as a first bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Not wanting to put you off of playing bass, but btw if you have a Guitar Hero set apparently there are ways to make it sound like a general electric set through a computer. Might save some space.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
My first Bass was a HONDO ALL-Star P-style. Red, with a white pick guard.

I would say go to a music store and just try a bunch out. Pick up the cheapest thing that feels comfortable and makes clean sounding notes with no fret buzz. I think the most important aspect of a Bass is comfort, especially when first learning. You will probably be sitting most of the time, while learning, so make sure it doesn't feel awkward sitting on your leg. I would also suggest a short scale Bass for starting out. That way you won't have as far to reach when playing different notes. Playing Bass turns into a forearm work-out relatively quick when you are fist learning. You'll find it difficult enough just holding the strings down after a while, so there is no need to compound the pain with extra reaching from note to note.

I would suggest using round wound medium gage strings. They are easier to make clean notes with and they will help you develop your "oh-so-important" finger tip callouses.

Another bit of advice I would offer, is don't get too hung up on sound right now. Your first Bass is going to be more of a learning tool than a musical instrument. You are going to be developing a unique playing style that's all your own. Once you've got some ability to fluidly play some music, and have a sense of what feels good when you play; that is when to start experimenting with sound. Then the Bass shopping gets fun, because variables of sound are a sum of many parts, i.e. different types of pick-ups, different types of wood for the body and neck, different types of strings, different instrument weights, different body shapes, different amps and effects, just to name a few.

You are at least one step ahead of other beginners because, you play drums. Just think about your learning experience with drums and apply that to learning the Bass. When you started out on Drums, what was your fist kit? Probably the kitchen pots and pans..lol, right? You didn't know anything about the difference between all Maple Shell or all Birch Shell, and it probably wouldn't have mattered.

A great sounding kit can't make a crappy drummer sound good, but a great drummer can make a crappy kit sound good.

Same thing goes for Bass.
First bass was an Ibanez GSR 200, and it was a phenomenal starter bass, $200 new. But yeah, what he said ^ about trying out different basses in a music store, that's really the only way to do it.
I don't think anyone's opinion can suffice in matters such as these. I would be inclined to agree with the above post about going and trying as many as you can. No one will really know what you want but you.