i am planning to buy a new guitar. i tune from standard to drop d very often
and the problem is nowadays most of the guitar have floyd rose.
i have had fixed bridge but wanna try FR.

My question is can i tune the guitar on

( D# A D G B E)

and tune up or down 6th string in FR just using fine tuners?

half step up standard
half step down drop d.
without messing around with any other setting
is this possible?
Last edited by aki1111111 at Aug 23, 2011,
I used to do that with my Jackson, from B to A though. Took some time to setup, but it it did pass well enough.
Fine tuners only do a half step each way I think.

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Quote by Keskimaki
I used to do that with my Jackson, from B to A though. Took some time to setup, but it it did pass well enough.

so u didn't need to unlock nuts and redo the setting every time u chaged ur tuning
Quote by s-o-u-l-f-l-y
Fine tuners only do a half step each way I think.

so it is possible to be in standard and drop d just with fine tuners. have u tried it?
You'll have to block it first otherwise you will have to do a full setup each time you change tuning. I use a tremol'no, and use the fine tuners to go from Standard to Drop D and it works fine.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
"so it is possible to be in standard and drop d just with fine tuners. have u tried it?"

Yes this works.
Trick to it is to screw the 6th string fine tuner nearly all the way in, tune, lock nut, play in standard tuning, then you get down to D with the fine tuner, and back up no probs.
Buy a D-Tuna. The FR will be blocked, and you won't be able to raise the pitch, but you can still dive-bomb and it will work a lot better than trying to use the fine tuner. Some trems you can't move the fine tuner enough to get a full step. The LFR on my Jackson and the Edge Pro7 on my Ibanez won't.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Well, I prefer to just unlock the first nut if I wanna drop tune it. It's much easier tbh.

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
probably not with the fine tuners but you can just use the normal tuners to go between those 3 tunings and you shouldnt have to setup the bridge each time, you will obviously have to remove the locking nuts though ( if you have them)
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
You can with an Original Floyd and an Ibanez Lo-Pro, I can vouche for that. You just screw the fine tuner most of the way in before you tune to standard, then use it to drop to D.
Quote by GandalfWh1te
"so it is possible to be in standard and drop d just with fine tuners. have u tried it?"

Yes this works.
Trick to it is to screw the 6th string fine tuner nearly all the way in, tune, lock nut, play in standard tuning, then you get down to D with the fine tuner, and back up no probs.

this worked on my jackson rr3 and now works on my epi les paul
if i did have all my gear in my sig, id have to change it weekly

"I tried to talk to you and you just kept playing"
"Well why didn't you pull out your boobies?"
"You were busy, I didn't think that would matter."
"Boobies always matter, always."
I can go from Drop C# to D# on my Schecter just fine with only the finetuners. I don't know if it's good for the guitar but you can most certainly do it and I've had no problems with it(it keeps tune nicely, the G goes out of tune a fair bit but I find unwound Gs do that a lot anyways and I've got .10s on her...).
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
You can do it, but it's not great, and it's a minor hassle to set up. Tuning that far with the fine tuners on just one string can put your intonation and tuning out slightly.
When you drop the E string you're removing tension from the system, which causes the other strings to go sharp. You'll have to fine tune all the strings, but yes it is possible. It takes me about 5 minutes to go from Standard to Drop D and have the strings in tune on any model Floyd.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
thank u all. i had heard many scary stories about floyd rose but now i am gonna try it.