Hello good people,

I want to start learning new song but I'm confused of which song should I start, For The Love Of God by Steve Vai or Flying In A Blue Dream by Joe Satriani. I want to start learning an advanced song but don't know which one to start because I want to start with the easier one.

so what do you suggest? which one require more technique and hard to play?

Somebody told me that For The Love Of God on of the hardest songs ever and it's very difficult to play and require special technique. is that correct?

Thank you so much for your answer and really sorry to ask such this question but I want to know that i'm going on the right way and want to be motivated
My Gear
Ibanez JS1000
Ibanez RG350EX
Cort CR280
Ibznez GRG170DX
Fender Startocaster American Standard
Yamaha Acoustic CPX500
Hofner Acoustic Guitar
Zoom G2.1NU
Zoom GFX-1
Boss DS-1
Marshall MG50 3/5
You'd need a sustainer pickup to play for the love of god like you hear Vai play it.

My vote goes to flying in a blue dream.
I'd say For the Love of God, because it has some bloody awesome-sounding sweeps in it that make you feel like the king of the world when you play them.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Alkaline 64
You'd need a sustainer pickup to play for the love of god like you hear Vai play it.

No you wouldn't. Vai didn't have a sustainer when he recorded that album and there are any number of live versions that also use no sustainer, Vai's sustain in that track is down to his incredible vibrato, his heavily processed tone and the rest of his phenomenal technique.

TS: Learn the one you want to learn because you enjoy the song, there's little point learning something you're not going to enjoy playing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by BryanAdams

I want to start learning new song but I'm confused of which song should I start, For The Love Of God by Steve Vai or Flying In A Blue Dream by Joe Satriani. I want to start learning an advanced song but don't know which one to start because I want to start with the easier one.

Neither song is particularly easy, why only those 2 when you can choose anything?

Vai pretty much always puts advanced acrobatics into his songs & solos.
Satch will usually have some extended legato runs that are not "easy".
What songs do you play currently?
I'd say do Always With Me, Always with you.

Flying in a Blue dream has the rhythm guitar in a weird tuning and goes nuts later on. Always with me does go a bit nuts, but it's not too out-there.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No you wouldn't. Vai didn't have a sustainer when he recorded that album and there are any number of live versions that also use no sustainer, Vai's sustain in that track is down to his incredible vibrato, his heavily processed tone and the rest of his phenomenal technique.

I read on his website that he did, but I don't want to have an argument. Anyway, he always gets the bests sounds out of flo playing this song.
Quote by thrashdeth
What's wrong with learning both of them?

The universe will play a sad trombone and bonk you on the head with a comedy mallet.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Dayn
The universe will play a sad trombone and bonk you on the head with a comedy mallet.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

TS: Learn the one you want to learn because you enjoy the song, there's little point learning something you're not going to enjoy playing.

I enjoy both, and both songs are favorites and will learn them both
My Gear
Ibanez JS1000
Ibanez RG350EX
Cort CR280
Ibznez GRG170DX
Yamaha Acoustic CPX500
Hofner Acoustic Guitar
Zoom G2.1NU
Zoom GFX-1
Boss DS-1
Marshall MG50 3/5
Quote by cringer
What songs do you play currently?

INSTRUMENTAL SONGS
Always With Me, Always with You - Joe Satriani
Cryin' - Joe Satriani
Love Thing - Joe Satriani
Starry Nights - Joe Satriani
Liberty - Steve Vai
The Godfother - Gun 'n Roses

VOCAL SONGS,
Some Bryan Adams song
Fade to Black - Metallica
Nothing Else Matters
Many rock/classic rock songs
My Gear
Ibanez JS1000
Ibanez RG350EX
Cort CR280
Ibznez GRG170DX
Yamaha Acoustic CPX500
Hofner Acoustic Guitar
Zoom G2.1NU
Zoom GFX-1
Boss DS-1
Marshall MG50 3/5
Quote by steven seagull
I'd say do Always With Me, Always with you.

Flying in a Blue dream has the rhythm guitar in a weird tuning and goes nuts later on. Always with me does go a bit nuts, but it's not too out-there.

Dear Steven,

I already learned Always With Me, Always With You. which is great song
My Gear
Ibanez JS1000
Ibanez RG350EX
Cort CR280
Ibznez GRG170DX
Yamaha Acoustic CPX500
Hofner Acoustic Guitar
Zoom G2.1NU
Zoom GFX-1
Boss DS-1
Marshall MG50 3/5
Quote by thrashdeth
What's wrong with learning both of them?

No wrong at all, I'll learn both of them, but don't know which one to start, because I want to start with the easier,
but i guess i'll start with For The Love Of God, coz my guitar has non sustainer pickups to play legato runs
My Gear
Ibanez JS1000
Ibanez RG350EX
Cort CR280
Ibznez GRG170DX
Yamaha Acoustic CPX500
Hofner Acoustic Guitar
Zoom G2.1NU
Zoom GFX-1
Boss DS-1
Marshall MG50 3/5
Quote by Alkaline 64
I read on his website that he did, but I don't want to have an argument. Anyway, he always gets the bests sounds out of flo playing this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDZuNM3HmU4

Clearly no sustainer. You don't need it.

Quote by BryanAdams
but i guess i'll start with For The Love Of God, coz my guitar has non sustainer pickups to play legato runs

Wut?

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by BryanAdams
Dear Steven,

I already learned Always With Me, Always With You. which is great song

Dear Bryan

I did not know that. Also, I still haven't forgiven you for "Everything I Do".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDZuNM3HmU4

Clearly no sustainer. You don't need it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IrWyZ0KZuk&ob=av3e

He's using his sustainer quite a bit there, especially when it gets near the end. Also, if you look at covers of the song without a sustainer on Youtube, you'll find that they'll always end up picking the fourth note of the riff more than once to keep it ticking. I'm sticking with my sustainer suggestion if your looking to get a similar sound to Vai, but of course it isn't completely necessary.
Quote by Alkaline 64
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IrWyZ0KZuk&ob=av3e

He's using his sustainer quite a bit there, especially when it gets near the end. Also, if you look at covers of the song without a sustainer on Youtube, you'll find that they'll always end up picking the fourth note of the riff more than once to keep it ticking. I'm sticking with my sustainer suggestion if your looking to get a similar sound to Vai, but of course it isn't completely necessary.

I think if you're looking for a Vai sound then a sustainer is probably the very least of your worries

I still maintain that while a sustainer does make it easier you obviously don't need one in order to play the song, you just need damn solid technique.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by steven seagull
Dear Bryan

I did not know that. Also, I still haven't forgiven you for "Everything I Do".

Why???
My Gear
Ibanez JS1000
Ibanez RG350EX
Cort CR280
Ibznez GRG170DX
Yamaha Acoustic CPX500
Hofner Acoustic Guitar
Zoom G2.1NU
Zoom GFX-1
Boss DS-1
Marshall MG50 3/5
Quote by BryanAdams
Why???

Why on earth should you be forgiven for that damned song?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I think if you're looking for a Vai sound then a sustainer is probably the very least of your worries

I was thinking the same thing... give me 20 sustainers - people still won't mistake me for Steve Vai
TS - people can't tell you which of those songs is easier for you, because you have your own unique skill set. If you wanna learn both go ahead and learn them. Work on both every day. No law against that.
Quote by Alkaline 64

This Via fell in love sustainer pickups. They let you literally do the impossible

One of the most affordable options for getting to one would be one of these

Jackson DK2S

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-dk2s-dinky-electric-guitar-w-sustainiac

The other option is retrofitting one of your existing guitars

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fernandes-fsk-401-sustainer-pickup-kit

It isn't cheap and unless you're really good at DIY you'll be paying a tech a pretty penny to install it...
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier