Page 1 of 6
A book is causing "outrage" apparently.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110823/maggie-goes-on-a-diet-110823/

The book, entitled "Maggie Goes on a Diet," tells the story of teenaged Maggie and how her life is "transformed" after she goes on a diet, starts exercising and loses weight.

According to a description of the book at Amazon.com, Maggie "is transformed from being extremely overweight and insecure to a normal sized girl who becomes the school soccer star. Through time, exercise and hard work, Maggie becomes more and more confident and develops a positive self image."

So the question is should this be allowed as it promotes healthier eating and fitness, or banned because it promotes self consciousness and self-hate?
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Of course it should be allowed. Everyone should be encouraged to eat healthy and maintain a healthy body weight. This book is not encouraging anorexia, just a healthy attitude towards food.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark
Of course it should be allowed. Everyone should be encouraged to eat healthy and maintain a healthy body weight. This book is not encouraging anorexia, just a healthy attitude towards food.

/thread
Quote by fearofthemark

this

I see nothing wrong with it if it's a healthy diet
Of course. This is a more positive way to encourage healthy living than to tell your kid "hey get on the treadmill you fatty." Unless it really attacks self-esteem, which is unlikely since it's a children's book, nothing is wrong here.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
it shouldn't be needed. but i guess when your 5 year old has her own gravitational pull, these things happen.
Quote by fearofthemark

thread/ x2
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
It's pretty absurd, and definitely offensive.

But ban a book? No sir.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by fearofthemark

Got it in one.

OH NOES SOMEONE IS ENCOURAGING MY POOR BABY TO EAT PROPERLY AND GET OF HIS FAT ASS! BAN IT! BAN IT!

Silly fat parents.

Quote by Eastwinn
definitely offensive.

How?

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
I'd have to read the book to get a proper opinion on it.

But at first glance it seems like a good idea. Teaching kids what's healthy and how to do it is only a good thing. Self hate is an important thing in improving oneself (though it can lead to disorders and problems just like complacency can.)
Of course it should be banned. The self-esteem of our children needs to be protected at all costs. We should ban school too, because bullying is rampant there. Either that, or place a tracker on each child that electrocutes him or her when he or she says something mean.

Think of the children!
I think it's slightly absurd that we have to make a book like this, but if it's executed correctly it could be kind of useful I guess.

EDIT: Of course, there are always gonna be kids who can't lose weight, and this book might make them feel like shit. Not sure if that's reason enough to ban it.
Last edited by Pagan-Pie at Aug 23, 2011,
Quote by SG_dave
I'd have to read the book to get a proper opinion on it.

But at first glance it seems like a good idea. Teaching kids what's healthy and how to do it is only a good thing. Self hate is an important thing in improving oneself (though it can lead to disorders and problems just like complacency can.)

I wouldn't say self hate is an important thing. That's a bit too strong, in my opinion. But if a person is dissatisfied with an aspect of themselves, that is a good trait that often leads to positive change.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Yes, because the onus is on the child to eat healthy. Jesus Christ, if your kid has to tell you that they want to eat better then you're not fit to be a parent.

edit: pun intended
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
It could be very good or very bad.

I'd have to see exactly what the book is saying. But no, banning books is silly.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Eastwinn
It's pretty absurd, and definitely offensive.

But ban a book? No sir.

How in the world is it offensive?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by fearofthemark
I wouldn't say self hate is an important thing. That's a bit too strong, in my opinion. But if a person is dissatisfied with an aspect of themselves, that is a good trait that often leads to positive change.

Yeah, maybe a poor choice of words.
But self hate is a driving force to aim for what someone wants, you got the point so I hop most other people would too.
Quote by WCPhils
How in the world is it offensive?

I wouldn't say offensive.

It's a possible breeding grounds for self hate and could even lead to more bullying. Kids are vicious little creature, they may read that then see a fat kid and go at it.

Like I said, it could go either way. It depends on presentation. I say this because a lot of fat people are on a cycle of eating where they're upset that they're fat bu they eat as a coping method. Definitely worth a try to do it this way though.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Im sorry, but the market that this book is aimed at will draw almost NO influence from a ****ing book. Christ, kids now days are so desensitized that anything with out flashing colours will go amiss. books are not effective media with this demographic.

guaranteed the problem AND solution to their obesity lies solely with parents, and this book does little to nothing to raise awareness (or atleast nothing that hasn't been done before). like you would actually get a kid refusing to eat their 2 min mac and cheese in substitution for steamed vegetables.
Last edited by Marshmelllow at Aug 23, 2011,
"According to a description of the book at Amazon.com, Maggie "is transformed from being extremely overweight and insecure to a normal sized girl who becomes the school soccer star. Through time, exercise and hard work, Maggie becomes more and more confident and develops a positive self image."

do you have any idea how unbelievably unrealistic those expectations are? not everybody develops a confident and positive self image after a diet, and the logic of this book is 'if you want to feel good and better, look the way society wants you to, and if you still don't feel better, well, good luck to you, but you don't fit in my book.'

what happens when they don't reach those erroneous expectations where the child gets famous and gets known in school? what if they have a problem with their weight and metabolism and physically can't lose weight and now feel trapped? what happens when they stop eating altogether when they're already thin but disliked because of their looks and religion and believe not eating will solve their bullying issues? the book may be well thought out and written, but children don't work in the way that we want them to when we hand them a booklet.

taking a step against child obesity is fine, but write a book for the parents as they're the ones raising the children and reading to the damn kids to being with.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Aug 23, 2011,
I'd prefer the titles 'Maggie develops diabetes' or 'Maggie can only shop in the Husky Section'.

I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
If this should be banned, so should all the trashy magazines and TV programs that make girls feel like shit about their appearance.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by CPDmusic
Will it reduce the number of fat bitches?

probably increase it with the amount of pressure that is implied in this plot.
No book should be banned. I'm sure is one some kids can relate to. It's not like it's "Maggie Gets Vaginoplasty" or "Marvin Gets Penile Augmentation Surgery".
Quote by laid-to-waste
probably increase it with the amount of pressure that is implied in this plot.

Then rip it off the shelves with great passion and might.
I'm just like the Jonas Brothers,

I'm no longer relevant and write mediocre music.

laid-to-waste, thanks for responding to my inquirers.
i don't know why i feel so dry
To contribute, I don't see the logic behind this book. From what I can gather it is book written for very young children, the kind of young where you generally don't go downtown and toss up between Maccas and Subway for lunch, more the "How was your first day of school?" young. Seriously what kind of parent or caregiver is going to purchase this book? Read it to them as a bedtime story? Because the kid sure as hell isn't going to buy it and sit down and mull over the different issues it raises.

This book isn't a failsafe, it isn't going to make the kid think twice over his next twinky if the parents have already been lazy about encouraging a healthy diet. I am at a loss to why the author and publisher thought this was a good idea unless it was purely a publicity stunt. Which is well within the realms of possibility.
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
Yes. It should be mandatory. Our children should be brainwashed into being obsessed with fitness and deathly afraid of obesity/emaciation.

I'm sick of America being fat as ****
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Eastwinn
laid-to-waste, thanks for responding to my inquirers.

my pleasure
Quote by laid-to-waste
"According to a description of the book at Amazon.com, Maggie "is transformed from being extremely overweight and insecure to a normal sized girl who becomes the school soccer star. Through time, exercise and hard work, Maggie becomes more and more confident and develops a positive self image."

do you have any idea how unbelievably unrealistic those expectations are? not everybody develops a confident and positive self image after a diet, and the logic of this book is 'if you want to feel good and better, look the way society wants you to, and if you still don't feel better, well, good luck to you, but you don't fit in my book.'

what happens when they don't reach those erroneous expectations where the child gets famous and gets known in school? what if they have a problem with their weight and metabolism and physically can't lose weight and now feel trapped? what happens when they stop eating altogether when they're already thin but disliked because of their looks and religion and believe not eating will solve their bullying issues? the book may be well thought out and written, but children don't work in the way that we want them to when we hand them a booklet.

taking a step against child obesity is fine, but write a book for the parents as they're the ones raising the children and reading to the damn kids to being with.

Thread reopened.

Seriously, we're talking about little kids here, people. Little kids have no power over how they look like. They eat and excersize the way their parents raise them. If anything, we need more books teaching parents how to eat right, and not tell little girls with shitty parents that she's a problem and that's why the little kids tease her.

What's next, a book called "Timmy, the boy who played with dolls" about a kid who gets sent to a Christian anti-gay camp"?

Or how about a lovely book titled "Tamica, the girl who moved out of the ghetto" about a little black girl whose parents are poor, but she goes out on the streets and works her way out of the ghetto?

I can see why people think its important to teach kids about healthy eating habits and excersize, but not like this.

EDIT: oh but the book obviously shouldn't be banned. They shouldn't have it in every public school library, but it should obviously not be forbidden.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 23, 2011,
Quote by CoreysMonster
Thread reopened.

Seriously, we're talking about little kids here, people. Little kids have no power over how they look like. They eat and excersize the way their parents raise them. If anything, we need more books teaching parents how to eat right, and not tell little girls with shitty parents that she's a problem and that's why the little kids tease her.

What's next, a book called "Timmy, the boy who played with dolls" about a kid who gets sent to a Christian anti-gay camp"?

Or how about a lovely book titled "Tamica, the girl who moved out of the ghetto" about a little black girl whose parents are poor, but she goes out on the streets and works her way out of the ghetto?

I can see why people think its important to teach kids about healthy eating habits and excersize, but not like this.

precisely.

also, why is everybody saying it shouldn't be banned no matter what? why would it be such a bad thing if this got banned?
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Aug 23, 2011,
Quote by CoreysMonster
Thread reopened.

Chances are, if kids read this book/have it read to them, and they talk to their parents that they want to eat healthy food, the parents are going to help their kids eat what is good for them. also, it might stop kids from constantly begging for ice cream and cake and crave nutritious things like carrots and tomatoes.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by fearofthemark
Chances are, if kids read this book/have it read to them, and they talk to their parents that they want to eat healthy food, the parents are going to help their kids eat what is good for them. also, it might stop kids from constantly begging for ice cream and cake and crave nutritious things like carrots and tomatoes.

Exactly. I don't see what is wrong with kids thinking about eating healthy.
___

Quote by The_Blode