Okay..This is the situation. My current rig is Yamaha Pacifica 112MX and Squier Champ 25W Amp...

Well it just plain sucks for what I play (thrash metal).

I have a budget of 2000$ for AMP+New guitar. Guitar needs to have a floyd if possible and a 24 frets with humbuckers. Thats about it. I'm no expert in buying guitar so what should I do?
I don't really know whats best. This is my only AMP I had so far so I dont know combo or head & cab for amp lol. Shape well I'd like a V shape or a Kelly? It doesn't matter as long as it isn't Stratocaster shape. Hmm pickups well im kinda like whatever's the best
Ibanez X series
Jackson Pro Series
Carvin Custom Shop

You can get any of those guitars for about a grand, maybe a bit less. that still leaves about a grand for a new amp as well. I would recommend a Peavey 6505+ or a JSX. You can find a used JSX pretty cheap these days, around $600. A new 6505 is about $900 for the head. Combo amps are a bit cheaper. Also, consider a Carvin X100b or V3. I've also heard good things about the Marshall MA and JDM series amps as well.

As for passive pickups, look into the Dimarzio Super Distortion, D Sonic, D activator, and the Air Norton, D activator neck and PAF PRO for neck.. For Seymour Duncan, I would look at the Duncan Distortion, JB, Dimebucker, and the Jazz or 59 for the neck.

And then there are active pickups like EMGs and Seymour Duncan Blackouts. Those are good if you like high output and aggressiveness, but you loose all of the dynamics of passive pickups. Personally, I would rather have a slightly lower output passive humbucker with great dynamics, then a high output active pickup with no dynamics.

There is no "best" pickup, it is really personal choice. In my opinion, Seymour Duncan has more of a raw tone, good for classic rock and metal. Dimarzio on the other hand is more dynamic, good for shred and bluesy stuff, also more modern metal.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at Aug 23, 2011,
Cool waiting for more replies thank you! Btw. just for a curiosity asking how much would cost Jackson KV1 custom shop?
Quote by Voodoosnake
Cool waiting for more replies thank you! Btw. just for a curiosity asking how much would cost Jackson KV1 custom shop?

I added more stuff to my post in edit, you might want to read it again...

As for a Jackson KV1, USA made production guitars cost about $2,500 on average. Custom shop guitars start at around $4,000 and go up.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
squier bullet strat + marshall MG10CD and spend the rest on some epic behringer pedals.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by stonyman65
I added more stuff to my post in edit, you might want to read it again...

As for a Jackson KV1, USA made production guitars cost about $2,500 on average. Custom shop guitars start at around $4,000 and go up.

Oh lord. Hmm then passives seem better. But what about Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX?

-> Mahogany Top/Body
-> 25-1/2" Scale
-> Mustaine Spec. Mahogany 'D-Shaped' Bound neck
-> Ebony fingerboard
-> Pearl Sharks Tooth Inlay
-> Grover Tuners
-> Black Hardware
-> Tune-O-Matic Bridge
-> Mustaine Duncan Live Wire Pickups

It's a grand. Is it any good? How Are pickups?
Look at all the Ibanez guitars. The Schecter Hellraiser c-1 FR, Epiphone les paul FX, PRS SE Torero, ESP guitars, and Jackson guitars. They all have what you want and they are all good. Fender, Marshall, Crate, and Peavey are my favorite amps. I wouldnt look into Line 6 very much though, but that's just my opinion. Hope this helps.
Colorado Avalanche
Quote by Voodoosnake
Oh lord. Hmm then passives seem better. But what about Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX?

-> Mahogany Top/Body
-> 25-1/2" Scale
-> Mustaine Spec. Mahogany 'D-Shaped' Bound neck
-> Ebony fingerboard
-> Pearl Sharks Tooth Inlay
-> Grover Tuners
-> Black Hardware
-> Tune-O-Matic Bridge
-> Mustaine Duncan Live Wire Pickups

It's a grand. Is it any good? How Are pickups?

That's a nice one. Those pickups are active pickups modeled after the JB/Jazz set. Same tone, but more output. I've never used them, but I've heard good things about them.

Honestly, I would go to a guitar store and play guitar and every amp you can get your hands on. That way you know what you like and don't like. Just because we recommend it here and say it is good doesn't mean it is. What might be awesome to me might sound and play like crap to you. Guitars and gear are like women, one size DOES NOT fit all.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by stonyman65
That's a nice one. Those pickups are active pickups modeled after the JB/Jazz set. Same tone, but more output. I've never used them, but I've heard good things about them.

Honestly, I would go to a guitar store and play guitar and every amp you can get your hands on. That way you know what you like and don't like. Just because we recommend it here and say it is good doesn't mean it is. What might be awesome to me might sound and play like crap to you. Guitars and gear are like women, one size DOES NOT fit all.

Yeah I'll try to test every AMP / guitar I can what u wrote. Cheers again. So true that last part LOL.