Ive decided to grab some locking tuners for my LTD. it holds tune well enough but in the lower tunings i have it on now even with thick strings, it likes to jump outta tune. the trem is blocked already (vintage style) so i sad what the hell, lets get some locking tuners. 2 questions though:

#1 Good brands, everyone makes these things so i need a starting point o.0

#2 Is installing them as simple as dropping em in and tightening?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
1. The sperzels on my ESP hold the tuning really well and are super easy to use with the twist lock. I have a set of locking Gotoh tuners on my squier and honestly they're a bit annoying- the locking and unlocking is controlled when you tighten the tuner. The Sperzels locking is done by you twisting a knob. The Gotohs also seem to lose the tuning more (although it may be the squier?). Cant vouch for any other brand though.

2. Depends on the brand. Like I said about Sperzels, you lock it yourself which is really fast and easy to change strings. The Gotohs i have you have to tighten the tuner for it to lock but when you losen the tuner, it doesnt always unlock so you have to do it by hand with a penny or something that fits in the slot
Last edited by michaelbot9000 at Aug 23, 2011,
thanks for the input man, truly appreciated
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
i dont trust any

because i cant afford them
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by Swannie
i dont trust any

because i cant afford them

your sig says otherwise lmao
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
your sig says otherwise lmao

thats why i cant currently afford any
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
cant argue with that logic
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
more to the point, ive heard good stuff about the sprezels
I like Sperzel, Schaller and Gotoh.

Depending on the tuning peg dimensions, you can probably find tuners that will just drop in. Otherwise, you will have to ream the hole to get the new tuners to fit. Just measure the hole and select the brand that will fit.

One thing to take note of is gear ratio. For example, Sperzel tuners only have a 12:1 tuning ratio. Schaller/Gotoh/Grover tuners have a 16:1 ratio. The higher the ratio, the more accurate the tuners will be, also more expensive.

You can find lot of them here: http://www.allparts.com/Locking-6-In-Line-Keys-s/176.htm
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
i think ill go with the sperzel's for 2 reasons.

#1 i like the locking method mentioned and

#2 they have em in store at my samash
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
oh crap, 1 more question. will the sperzels take 13 gauge strings?
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED