Hello guys, I dont know if this is the right place to post this, but here it is. I am a 15 yr old guy who got a guitar from his brother when he was 12 and i always wanted to learn. My parents didnt have the money to teach me, so i just tried learning myself. Started learning metallica, iron maiden and other alike till i started listening to As I Lay Dying and Trivium, etc. All these years I got tabs and tried to play songs, that was my way of training. 3 years later i reach these situation. I'm in a band where we already have 9 Original songs, but recently, our rhythm guitarrist had to move to a foreign country to study. We got a new Rhythm guitarrist for my band and guess what, i have no musical theory at all, i dont even know scales right, I just see what sounds best. I used to be the hero of my band, but now i really feel the necessity of musical theory and the perfection of advanced techniques. Anyone here recommends sites/videos?
Thanks you
Even though your skills have advanced, it is always a good rule of thumb to start from the beginning on theory and learn as much as you can. Get to know where every note on the fret board is, it will help you jump to different scales and allow you to know where they can begin on, and help you learning chords and such. The more you advance the more it can become a headache in music theory, but stick with it, it will become rewarding.
http://www.musictheory.net/index.html

^^^ The lessons on this site are quite good. When approaching music theory, I suggest focusing on thoroughly understanding how and why everything works and sounds the way it does, rather than memorizing a load of patterns but not really understanding what they mean.
Good luck

Oh and the Musician Talk subforum has some useful information in it.
Last edited by MetalCommand at Aug 23, 2011,
Quote by MetalCommand
http://www.musictheory.net/index.html

^^^ The lessons on this site are quite good. When approaching music theory, I suggest focusing on thoroughly understanding how and why everything works and sounds the way it does, rather than memorizing a load of patterns but not really understanding what they mean.
Good luck

Oh and the Musician Talk subforum has some useful information in it.

Thank you. Everyone is so anal about memorizing scales and keys and patterns. It's not about memorization. It's about being able to feel the key and scale your playing in rather than memorizing it. Try playing any prog band tabs and you'll see what I mean.

The Human Abstract, Protest the Hero, The Sound of Animals FIghting
Quote by Luiz7
Hello guys, I dont know if this is the right place to post this, but here it is. I am a 15 yr old guy who got a guitar from his brother when he was 12 and i always wanted to learn. My parents didnt have the money to teach me, so i just tried learning myself. Started learning metallica, iron maiden and other alike till i started listening to As I Lay Dying and Trivium, etc. All these years I got tabs and tried to play songs, that was my way of training. 3 years later i reach these situation. I'm in a band where we already have 9 Original songs, but recently, our rhythm guitarrist had to move to a foreign country to study. We got a new Rhythm guitarrist for my band and guess what, i have no musical theory at all, i dont even know scales right, I just see what sounds best. I used to be the hero of my band, but now i really feel the necessity of musical theory and the perfection of advanced techniques. Anyone here recommends sites/videos?
Thanks you

I recommend learning some protest the hero or the human abstract.

I myself too am self-taught and have never taken one lesson on guitar in my life. Been playing for about 7 years now. I once was at your stage in songwriting.

I started at the age of 12 and had a band going by 14, but didn't know how to write music properly and good. It just takes some practice. Learn some really technical songs and see how they write and you'll begin to understand certain scales and methods of playing. Remember that all scales are interchangeable between keys and will have a similar mood.

I recommend looking up "fortress" album by protest the hero cause that shit is insane and has taught me soooo much things and techniques for playing.