I just wanted to ask a question about amp speakers. I just bought a brand new tube amp (VHT Classic 18) with a T-Rex Tonebug Distortion and I like the sound (anything is better than my old Line 6 Spider IV 75w) and while lurking through amp threads I read about "breaking the speakers in". I just want to know what happens when the speakers are broke in, and about how many hours of play you need to break the speaker in. I would like to write a review on the pedal and the amp, but want to make sure that I write the review when the amp sounds at its best.

Also, if you have any input about the new amp and pedal, let me know what you think. Please don't bash, unless there is a major reliability issue with either. I'm really liking the tone I'm getting out of it.
Quote by LesPaulGuy514
while lurking through amp threads I read about "breaking the speakers in". I just want to know what happens when the speakers are broke in, and about how many hours of play you need to break the speaker in.

play it for a while. something like 20 or 30 hours of play time. there is also other ways of breaking in a speaker using a pure sine wave running through the speaker (using a variac). i have heard of some people hooking up looper pedals or delay pedals that loop and letting the speaker play overnight for a couple nights (i recommend putting the amp in a remote part of the house so you don't need to listen to it).

the result is basically that the connection points of the speaker will become less stiff and you'll get a bit less highs and high mids. mellows things out a bit.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 23, 2011,
Quote by gumbilicious
the result is basically that the connection points of the speaker will become less stiff and you'll get a bit less highs and high mids. mellows things out a bit.

Basically make it a little less "tinny"?