So I'm looking for a bass amp that can give me a metal sound (preferably a thrash metal sound). I know that there are a lot of this kind of topics, but that's just the point : I really get confused by ALL these topics. So these are the specifications I want for my new bass amp:

(Thrash) Metal Amp
200-300 Watt
Definitely a combo
The brand doesn't matter
Solid State / Tubes doesn't matter too

Price range:
300 EUR - 500 EUR so that's 430 USD - 720 USD at the moment.

Thanks in advance.
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C. It's got more punch than any combo other than the SWR Redhead. It is a lot of amp for the money:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I hate SWR for metal, just has no flavor and not the right frequency bumps for cutting through high gain or serious bass drumming. If you are using a really premium bass (which it'll bring the natural tone out of) it might work.

You will be a little limited with a combo, but if you are on a tight budget there isn't that much you can do. Make sure whatever you choose has a line out for an extension cab in case you need more volume down the line (and an extra cab will give a significant boost).

I'd go- Ashdown, GK, Genz Benz for a combo in that price range. Maybe give us some top candidates... not sure what's available in your area.

To get the most out of any amp you use in a metal situation, I recommend bumping low mids around 100-200Hz and not worrying so much about anything below that (keep flat or cut slightly). The real low lows will suck up your headroom and wont add much to the mix. I'd emphasize midrange and crank the master more. Cutting through is a challenge in trash.
Quote by cGoEcYk
I hate SWR for metal, just has no flavor and not the right frequency bumps for cutting through high gain or serious bass drumming. If you are using a really premium bass (which it'll bring the natural tone out of) it might work.

You will be a little limited with a combo, but if you are on a tight budget there isn't that much you can do. Make sure whatever you choose has a line out for an extension cab in case you need more volume down the line (and an extra cab will give a significant boost).

I'd go- Ashdown, GK, Genz Benz for a combo in that price range. Maybe give us some top candidates... not sure what's available in your area.

To get the most out of any amp you use in a metal situation, I recommend bumping low mids around 100-200Hz and not worrying so much about anything below that (keep flat or cut slightly). The real low lows will suck up your headroom and wont add much to the mix. I'd emphasize midrange and crank the master more. Cutting through is a challenge in trash.

Alex Webster want to talk to you.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I use a Gallien Krueger MB112. it's got quite a bit of growl for an amp.

you can go with the MB115 to better shape your sound.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by dark Mass
Alex Webster want to talk to you.

I love his playing in Blotted Science, but he has no mids. It's almost like a Fieldy tone, clinking around.
Thank you all for the comments, but as I'd expected there is again more than one suggestion and that's just the point. I'm a beginning musician (I play for almost a year) and I don't know anything about amps so I don't know on which specifications I have to base my choice on. And that Hartke looks great but he costs a little bit too much for a first amp.

P.S.: Yes, this is my first amp but it has to be 200-300 W.

I personally think that the GK MB115 is the best choice because of the price and the volume (200W is enough). Does anyone want to look to the specs of that one to see if it's good for metal because I don't know anything about that. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by DeliriumMask at Aug 24, 2011,
It'll be good for metal and I prefer 1x15 as a standalone cab to 2x10 (2x10 wont cut through a metal drummer unless there is a miracle going on).
Thank you so much for helping, I've been looking for months but finally found what I want. Thanks everybody and thank you cGoEcYk for the useful tips. Whewww... what a relief!