i was wondering if perfect pitch is still important? i know id seen a thread of someone asking this, and someone replied no cause most intrustments (guitar) have the flats and the sharps as one. but can i still ear train the regular notes?
what do you mean by 'still important'?

People are born with Perfect Pitch, you can't obtain it by training. You can only obtain really good relative pitch, which in some aspects is better (some people who have perfect pitch get physically sick if they hear something out of tune/place!).

Perfect pitch is not 'important' in playing music- a lot of great musicians don't have it.

Also, it'll just come naturally to you over years of playing. I guess there's stuff out there that specifically trains your ears, but be careful, some of 'em are just trying to grab your money.

Furthermore: use google :P
Last edited by ezza619 at Aug 23, 2011,
/enters

This again? The above post pretty much explains how i feel...

/leave
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by harvestkingx
i was wondering if perfect pitch is still important? i know id seen a thread of someone asking this, and someone replied no cause most intrustments (guitar) have the flats and the sharps as one. but can i still ear train the regular notes?

considering the vast majority of musicians DONT have it, i would say it isnt important.
It's a kinda cool thing to have, but it makes it a bit of a bitch to play any transposing instrument cause your fingers are saying C but your ear is saying Bb, for example. I'm not saying that people with perfect pitch can't play transposing instruments, but it is something they have to deal with when doing it!
Quote by top_spin
It's a kinda cool thing to have, but it makes it a bit of a bitch to play any transposing instrument cause your fingers are saying C but your ear is saying Bb, for example. I'm not saying that people with perfect pitch can't play transposing instruments, but it is something they have to deal with when doing it!

I don't see how transposing music affects anything. You should always refer to notes by their pitches, not fretboard patterns or so.

Perfect pitch is kind of useless as long as one has decent relative pitch.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
He means transposing instruments like clarinet, where a "C" is actually a Bb.
Last edited by Jesse Clarkson at Aug 24, 2011,
Quote by Jesse Clarkson
He means transposing instruments like clarinet, where a "C" is actually a Bb.

I'm not familiar with that kind of instruments. What's the logic behind naming C as Bb?
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by Flibo
I'm not familiar with that kind of instruments. What's the logic behind naming C as Bb?

Keeping fingerings the same on different auxiliary instruments, neater notation, tone quality etc

Take the piccolo or glockenspiel for example. Both are high range instruments, and both sound an octave higher than written. If they sounded as written, you'd need too many ledger lines which both looks untidy and is harder to read.

The guitar itself is a transposing instrument, sounding an octave lower than written.
What's the difference between Perfect Pitch and Relative Pitch? Sorry man, I'm a theory idiot trying to improve.
Quote by ThEgAmE93
What's the difference between Perfect Pitch and Relative Pitch? Sorry man, I'm a theory idiot trying to improve.

Perfect pitch means hearing a note and saying "that's F#; " relative pitch is hearing a note and saying "that was a major sixth above the last note."
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by soviet_ska
Perfect pitch means hearing a note and saying "that's F#; " relative pitch is hearing a note and saying "that was a major sixth above the last note."

ok ty guys, just wanted to know, but through out all the info, what if your training for a song, and some of the notes are off but they sound simliar anyways? i was trying to ear off panama and i got to a part, i was like wtf? (that lick that goes dan na nah na nah na nah NA!) so i tired somthing within the key, and sound simliar but then i see cover on youtube but he had different finger placements in a different area and sound more like the song then mine. but gueseing from what you guys said that you cant really pickout perfect pitches, so is it all right to be different?
If it sounds like the song, you're fine. I believe EVH uses some natural harmonics in the song if that's the part you're referring to. I can't think off the top of my head, but I think it leads into the chorus, it's especially noticeable in the intro.

EDIT: Also, I hear Eddie slightly detunes his B-string; I'm not a Van Halen expert, but that may also be throwing you off since it would be just a little different from the rest of the tuning system.
Last edited by soviet_ska at Aug 24, 2011,
Quote by harvestkingx
(that lick that goes dan na nah na nah na nah NA!)

Quote by harvestkingx
so is it all right to be different?

oh, yeah, it's fine to be different. even though i have no idea what dan na nah na nah na nah NA! means. and i know the song, too.

nowhere did anybody say that it's impossible to pick out the pitches. perfect pitch deals with picking out the pitches by ear, without an external reference (i.e. an instrument). if you can't find the pitches on your instrument, then your relative pitch is poor.

it's alright to be different (in your sense of the word) if you want to make an arrangement, or if you want to play the same passage in a different position.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
oh, yeah, it's fine to be different. even though i have no idea what dan na nah na nah na nah NA! means. and i know the song, too.

Oh come on, that's like my second favorite part of the song next to widdily-widdily WEEEEEEE!

Haven't seen you around for a while, A-Dubs, you been on vacation?
the part i was talking about is l around 0:26, in the song, some of the parts i didnt even hear on gutiar before lol but yah i probalby do have poor relative pitch at the moment, but somtimes i just take a note from the song and hum it and just find the note and then find out the intervals.
I think that relative pitch is a much more useful skill than perfect pitch if you've got a tunable instrument. Plus perfect pitch is not something people can develop, you either have it or don't

But anyone can develop good relative pitch, and with it you can tune an instrument and identify any interval at any sort of reference pitch given.

With perfect pitch you can only identify notes when they are at concert pitch, otherwise they sound out of tune (I bet it would drive people with it crazy if they heard my guitars which are tuned a quarter tone below Eb ).
░──────░
░|█████|░
░|█████|░
─┴────┴─

░░░^__^░░░
░░/ ░░░ \░░░____________
/░░░ರೃ \░░/Presumptuous!\
░=_░ɯ░_=░...‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
░░ \░^░/ ░░
░░░‾‾‾‾‾░░░░
Quote by soviet_ska
Oh come on, that's like my second favorite part of the song next to widdily-widdily WEEEEEEE!

Haven't seen you around for a while, A-Dubs, you been on vacation?

yeah, florida. damn motel charged me for internet, so i just putzed around disneyland and universal studios for a while.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
yeah, florida. damn motel charged me for internet, so i just putzed around disneyland and universal studios for a while.

Good thing you got out when you did. That hurricane is floating around down there now. I'm going to have to evacuate on Friday, seeing as I live one mile from the ocean.