Yo, drummers of UG. I'm building a studio and the last bits of equipment I need are some drum mics.

Now, I know these won't be the best things for the job, but I need to start getting some cash rolling in, and these will be the first things I'll upgrade.

So here are the mics I have so far, and what I may use them for:

AT3035 - Kick
SM57 - Snare
SM58 - Snare or Tom

Obviously, I have a few gaps to fill. My budget is not extreme, I'd hope to pay under $400 for the rest, knowing that I will upgrade them all soon. So here's what I'm thinking to fill out the set:

2 Audix F15s for overheads - Can find used for ~$100 for both. For the money, they seem like the best I can get. Of course, I'm open to any suggestions.

Toms are the things that I'm really lost on. I hope to eventually get some Sennheiser 421s, but right now, they're simply way out of my price range. I'm thinking I might just buy 3 more SM57s and call it square. Good or bad idea? Is there something else out there that will work better for a similar price?
Better off using this. I use it for all of my recordings now and you only need 4 mics:

Glyn Johns method

What's your price range? Because you can always buy a pair of AKG C-1000S mics for overheads, they seem to work well. I've used them before, but you'll have to cut the high freq on the EQ for them to sound really good, and run it through phantom power instead of battery power. Simple things though.

I don't use them anymore as I have a pair of Neumann KM184's
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
I've always used Rhodes NT55's no idea how much they cost though, it wasn't my studio was working in at the time, was my schools.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
If you're looking for cheap and reliable you can always go for Shure SM57's and 58's. I've made killer recordings with those little buggers.
The AKGs are a bit expensive for now, but I might look into upgrading to them as quick as I can. They'd cost about the whole $400. And the nt55s would cost almost double my budget, so they're out for now.

I guess I'll just try the cheap little f15s for now. Hopefully they can get me through a session or two without having to screw with the mix too much.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, anymore are also welcome.
If I were you I'd check out the Sound on Sound, Tape-op and Gear Slutz magazines and websites and get to grips with things there. These guys know their shit.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by CrossBack7
Yo, drummers of UG. I'm building a studio and the last bits of equipment I need are some drum mics.

Now, I know these won't be the best things for the job, but I need to start getting some cash rolling in, and these will be the first things I'll upgrade.

So here are the mics I have so far, and what I may use them for:

AT3035 - Kick
SM57 - Snare
SM58 - Snare or Tom

Obviously, I have a few gaps to fill. My budget is not extreme, I'd hope to pay under $400 for the rest, knowing that I will upgrade them all soon. So here's what I'm thinking to fill out the set:

2 Audix F15s for overheads - Can find used for ~$100 for both. For the money, they seem like the best I can get. Of course, I'm open to any suggestions.

Toms are the things that I'm really lost on. I hope to eventually get some Sennheiser 421s, but right now, they're simply way out of my price range. I'm thinking I might just buy 3 more SM57s and call it square. Good or bad idea? Is there something else out there that will work better for a similar price?

Sennheiser has good tom mics below the 421s. The E604s are fairly nice and you can probably check ebay to get 3 for under $300. You'll wanna shell out at least that much for your overheads though.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Sennheiser has good tom mics below the 421s. The E604s are fairly nice and you can probably check ebay to get 3 for under $300. You'll wanna shell out at least that much for your overheads though.

Welp, too late. I just ordered two SM57's and two Audix F15s. Hopefully, they don't sound too shit. The overheads will probably be the first thing I upgrade anyways, so I'm not too horribly worried about it.