So me and my other guitarist were writing in my room and we started discussing singers because we dont have one yet. I brought up that it would be cool if we could get a singer that sounded a bit like Avenged Sevenfold, and then i tried it. he said that i kinda had it but i would need to work on it.

Ive been working on it a lot over the last week and i have it almost down with one exception: i cant hold a note more than a few seconds. What are some exercises that i could use to expand my breathing capacity?

One more thing: I was talking to my friend earlier who happens to be a singer (not the right kind of voice for metal before you ask) and she said i could really hurt myself practicing this kind of singing without proper warm-ups, so what are some warm-ups that i could do before practicing to avoid destroying my vocal chords?

Thanks
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1329409

This is what you want. It takes time to do it right and it's still hard on your vox. You do know that Shadows had to get vocal surgery correct? Thats because his style is not all that good for you even if you warm up well.

Also, if your not 16 don't do it. Your voice is almost positively not ready yet.
Go to your local university and offer to hire a vocal grad student for $20/hour. Don't tell them you want to learn metal, just tell them you want to learn some good beginner warm-ups.

I'd recommend learning a couple of songs out of an easy aria book will do wonders too. Give it a month or two of consistent practice and you'll get a feel for what it is you need to do. If you're too lazy to do that though, work on singing from your diaphragm, as opposed to bringing the sound out from your throat.
Funky c, Funky do
First thing you need to do is stop trying to sound bad..

Lulz but seriously, just sing a lot honestly, there's professional things to do, but singing along with songs in the car or whatever is seriously the biggest thing short of live performance that will help you as a singer.

Also, the singer from Our Last Night started screaming before/during puberty. Giving their first album a seriously unique sound. But now he's like 19 and sounds normal. Singing early doesn't guarantee you'll wreck yourself at all. Though you do have to be super careful and never do things that hurt.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Quote by merriman44
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1329409

This is what you want. It takes time to do it right and it's still hard on your vox. You do know that Shadows had to get vocal surgery correct? Thats because his style is not all that good for you even if you warm up well.

Also, if your not 16 don't do it. Your voice is almost positively not ready yet.

I do know that he had surgery, but i think it was from screaming on the earlier albums and he started singing this way afterwards, i may be wrong, but thats what i heard.

Ill be 16 in april, and my voice is deeper than my 20 year old brother's and it doesnt crack anymore, so i think it's fully developed.

I really do appreciate the concern, and i know the risks involved, thats why I'm trying to back up now and do some of the basics and take it slower from now on. (btw if im sounding like i think i know it all, im not trying to, i just already did give these things quite a bit of thought. I know i still have a lot to learn)
FYI, distorted singing is much worse than screaming in almost all cases. Its much more difficult to do right and sound good. I'm not a huge Avenged fan but he got the surgery right before he recorded this last album if I recall so he had plenty of time to destroy his voice through his gross singing distortion.

edit: With that said, just don't rush learning the technique and once you can sing how you want without going hoarse or have pain you are good to go. But mostly, have fun. that is what its all about brudda.

Cheers
Last edited by merriman44 at Aug 24, 2011,