Lately, I've been trying to get some practice with soloing on the higher frets, like around 15-22. The problem is, when I'm trying to play up there, my fingers just kind of mush together against the body where the cutaway is, and this really inhibits my speed and accuracy. I'm assuming that this has to be an issue with my technique, as it hasn't really improved with practice and I know it's not impossible since lots of players have crazy solos up there.

For reference, the main guitars I am playing are an Epiphone Sheraton II and an Agile AL3100.

EDIT: Also, on the Sheraton, the strap seems to block my thumb from reaching into the cutaway at the upper horn due to the strap placement. Is there a fix for this besides buying a thinner strap?
Carvin Tele (11/21/11 )
Epi Sheraton II
Agile AL3100
Fender MIM Strat
Squier Vintage Modified Tele
Epiphone something or other acoustic

Last.FM
Last edited by deadgearsrising at Aug 23, 2011,
I think this is more to do with your guitars than your technique, as both of those guitar styles tend to have a large heel (where neck joins body). When I had a Les Paul-almost identical to your Agile AL- my hand would always feel "blocked" or "restricted" when playing above the 15th fret due to the heel. Also the cutaway is more restrictive than say, a strat or Ibanez RG.

Technique wise it can be to do with which fingers you are using. If you're using your 1st, 2nd or 3rd fingers you will naturally have more difficulty reaching those higher frets than if you use your pinky finger..but of course, the pinky tends to be weaker or simply awkward for the higher bends.
None of your guitars has a cutaway that is especially suitable for playing that far up the neck. If you need to do a lot of playing that far up you should think about getting a guitar with a cutaway that's designed for shredding up there.
just keep doing runs and the finger exercises on the higher frets till you get the hang of it helped me so far.

1-2-3-4 on the high E and keep running up and down the neck thats how i did it
4-3-2-1

try different patterns.
Quote by Cruz 666
just keep doing runs and the finger exercises on the higher frets till you get the hang of it helped me so far.

1-2-3-4 on the high E and keep running up and down the neck thats how i did it
4-3-2-1

try different patterns.

This will help. It's boring as hell, but it will help as it will get all of your fingers accustomed to fitting in all the frets in all the positions up the neck. With time, you'll effectively adapt to your issue until it doesn't affect your playing anymore.

However, if it's high-fret solo/shredding you want then the best solution is to get a guitar suited for it
I know the feeling. Even on my Ibanez, It feels way too crowded up there and my fingers rubbing together is cumbersome.
Quote by AcousticMirror
you can't play the 22nd on those guitars. 24.75 scale for the loss

i can.

TS maybe your fingers are too thick? although i do find the sheraton's cutaways don't really leave adequate room for my hand to move between the neck and the lower horn, which may be the problem there.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 24, 2011,