Hello,

First of all I'm not sure if this thread should go here, or in the theory section.
Anyways, I was wondering if I could get 2 answers from anyone who reads this.

1.) Have you ever "unplugged" a song, or made it into an acoustic version?
2.) Instead of playing certain leads on the acoustic, how would you "convert" them to chords?

The 1 song that's on my profile right now, "Turn the Volume Up", is currently played on electric guitar, and I was wondering if I could get some advice on how to make that acoustic with actual chords other than power chords.

Thanks
1 - i do a lot of electric songs in my own acoustic versions.

2 - no reason not to do acoustic leads in a song. your song starts with the guitar quickly going duh-duh-duh repeatedly. i could hear that being thumb, first, second and third finger or just using three fingers on the same string at the same speed but clean.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by systasis
Hello,

First of all I'm not sure if this thread should go here, or in the theory section.
Anyways, I was wondering if I could get 2 answers from anyone who reads this.

1.) Have you ever "unplugged" a song, or made it into an acoustic version?
2.) Instead of playing certain leads on the acoustic, how would you "convert" them to chords?

The 1 song that's on my profile right now, "Turn the Volume Up", is currently played on electric guitar, and I was wondering if I could get some advice on how to make that acoustic with actual chords other than power chords.

Thanks

1. I do that alot. :P just jammin' along!
in terms of converting things to chords, I try and play the lead guitar(simplified if its complicated) whilst playing the rhythm, it can take a while to figure out a comfortable position to play it but you can end up with some interesting chords =], although sometimes it can just sound completely off.
I've never done this for an unplugged acoustic though, just when i'm messing around going through my bands songs for a challenge =].

I don't know if this will help with your song though haha
Last edited by jjaacckk at Aug 24, 2011,
Everyone's familiar with the Cream version of "Crossroad Blues", it's iconic. I learned it on acoustic first many years ago using pretty much the same chords and such that Clapton did.

However, currently, I play it much more the way say, J.J. Cale might approach it. Likewise the old standard Statesboro blues. My version is a kind of mashup of David Bromberg and Chris Smither, played usually on my four-string cigar-box resonator.
Never saw the attraction of copying some other picker's work exactly....
My fiancee and I do that -all- the time. If you know how to figure out the chords in the key(s) of the song, and you can figure out the movement of the different bits of the song (like I - IV - V - II - I etc etc) then you can come up with *a* chord sequence reasonably easy. From there, we tend to just play around with it. Sometimes we radically depart, sometimes it works well straight off the bat. YMMV