If it's built to be split, yes. Meaning if the manufacturer made separate taps for the coils, then you can wire it to be split.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
If it's built to be split, yes. Meaning if the manufacturer made separate taps for the coils, then you can wire it to be split.

Mostly true. Even if the manufacturer didn't make the pickup with what's called "four-conductor wiring" the two coils will still be connected by a wire that can be cut, spliced, and wired to be coil split. If you're not comfortable doing it the local guitar guy should be.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Quote by cds+stereo=life
Mostly true. Even if the manufacturer didn't make the pickup with what's called "four-conductor wiring" the two coils will still be connected by a wire that can be cut, spliced, and wired to be coil split. If you're not comfortable doing it the local guitar guy should be.

I didn't mention that because I didn't think most people would be comfortable chopping up a pickup, but if we're on that, then not only can a stack be split, so can a true single coil, it just takes some work.

^No it can't, because as soon as you cut the coil it would no longer be a true single coil.

Often, stacked single coils won't be splittable, or it will be recommended that you don't split them, because they're designed to sound like single coils when connected as a humbucker. This only applies to stacked pickups that are designed to sound like single coils, like the Dimarzio HS series. Most of the time, these pickups sound quite a bit different (in a bad way) when only one coil is being used.

Rail pickups are different, because they're mostly designed to be single coil sized humbuckers, not to be noiseless single coils. Rail pickups can usually be split and still sound good, unlike some stacked pickups.
Last edited by littlephil at Aug 24, 2011,
Single coils can be tapped (not split, but it's the same principle) by putting a tap somewhere in the pickup. It continues to behave exactly like any other single coil until the tap is activated, at which point it works exactly the same, but with fewer windings.

I do agree that splitting stacks doesn't usually sound good, but they can be split if you want to split 'em.

Quote by cds+stereo=life

This is true. It's basically just break the wire going from one coil to the other and adding a switch to ground in between. Simple mod, anyone with a little wiring experience can do it with ease.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Single coils can be tapped (not split, but it's the same principle) by putting a tap somewhere in the pickup. It continues to behave exactly like any other single coil until the tap is activated, at which point it works exactly the same, but with fewer windings.

I do agree that splitting stacks doesn't usually sound good, but they can be split if you want to split 'em.

This is not easy to do, it involves unwinding the pickup, which is difficult because it's wax potted and the wire is as fine as a piece of hair, adding the tap lead, and then rewinding in a neat an uniform manner so as not to change the sound of the pickup. It's not worth anyone's time and anyone that is willing to do it would be better off just buying the components for pickup building and making their own from scratch than using an existing pickup. I would never recommend it.
Quote by AeolianSeventh

They can be tapped, but adding a tap to an existing pickup is very difficult, you'd probably ruin the pickup, and not many people actually make tappable pickups. The few that do are quite expensive boutique pickup winders.
Quote by littlephil
Yes they can. The Hotrail is a rail pickup, not a stacked pickup.

More to the point, they're made with four-conductor wiring. It's an easy solder job without any modification of the pickup itself.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.