how much does s custom made electric guitar cost? i know there are alot of variables but a rough estimate of what a luthier whould cost to make a strat style guitar?
Just like you said - too many variables. Depends on what company you go with/what luthier you pick, what woods you want, what pickups, what hardware... A good custom guitar could be in the ball park of anywhere from 3000 to 8000 dollars. Who knows? It's all up to you man
Figure no less than 1500USD and no more than 2500. Depending on what you're looking for, you might be able to get all the parts on Warmoth and put it together yourself for 1000-1500.

EDIT: unless you want an aluminum neck, in which case little dollar signs appear in luthiers' eyes.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Last edited by AeolianSeventh at Aug 24, 2011,
check out warmoth and it will tell you how much it costs as your building it online.
i have had a look at warmoth but what i want is a little odd, if after a mustang body and neck but with a stratocaster set up (H/S/S) and a tune-o-matic bridge and tail piece and a little simple inlay at the 12th fret
That's not so out there...Creston Guitars could probably do it for less than 2k.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Quote by Soccerguy
Carvin do damn good ones for usually around 1500 bucks.

Carvin makes excellent products, and since its all sold and manufactured through them,the prices are great, everything is US made. You should definitely check out their custom shop on the website. It even has a builder and will give you the price.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Last edited by Maggot3000 at Aug 24, 2011,
Quote by RyanBreslin
so carvin make custom guitars?

Carvin Custom Shop

First Figure out what kind of neck you want, then choose which model from there. Every model is fully customizable
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Quote by RyanBreslin
im after the body and neck to be the same as a fender mustang

...so you want a mustang.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i want a mustang with set up of H/S/S im thinking that i might just buy a stock mustang and rout it out as it would be cheaper
so you don't know about woods and pickups themselves? or hardware?

in that case, buy a mustang and have an uncle re-rout it.
i know about woods and pickups as well as having knowledge of woodwork and soldering
Well that is a bit like asking how much does a car cost. Depends on the car/guitar. I've seen them go as low at $1500 and as high as $30,000. There is a guitar for every price tag and a price tag for every guitar.
You could probably find someone on here to build you a custom guitar for less than $1500 to those specs... Theres a handful of people I'd imagine could or would do it for less.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212