Hey guys, I'm in a hard rock band and we played our first gig last night - it went OK, but I've decided to re-write some of my solos as they sound too metal-y. Someone described it as 'having Tony Iommi in Aerosmith, it sounds OK but doesn't fit' so I was wondering how could I come up with Joe Perry esque solos? Any specific techniques he uses? Favourite scales etc?
You're going to have to be more specific or provide sound samples. Tony Iommi and Joe Perry are mostly both gonna be using the same pentatonic scale ; with Iommi doing some different modes. What type of guitar do you have? Amp? Pedals?

Lift back on the Distortion. Get a decent overdrive pedal.
Main guitar is a Gibson LP Studio, playing through a Marshall AVT, I use a Classic '78 Badass Distortion pedal

Sorry for the lack of details, ha. Thanks for the advice. I guess if you listen to the first Train Kept A' Rollin' solo by Aerosmith, that's the tone/style of solo I'm looking for
Quote by controlledchaos
Main guitar is a Gibson LP Studio, playing through a Marshall AVT, I use a Classic '78 Badass Distortion pedal

Sorry for the lack of details, ha. Thanks for the advice. I guess if you listen to the first Train Kept A' Rollin' solo by Aerosmith, that's the tone/style of solo I'm looking for

Funny part is I think that session guitarists actually did the solo section of that version of the song man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_XOtzhmmSI&feature=related

Would you be good with a sound like that? That set up will get you as close ( on a budget ) to a classic 70's Aerosmith sound. For his overdrive he's using a Plexi and cleans are usually Fender Bandmasters ( if memory serves me correct ). I'd say it may have to do with your playing? ( not trying to insult you ). I say just listen/learn a bunch of Aerosmith songs and start getting a vibe and feel for that style...
Yeah man I think you might be right, since I started I've sorta modelled my playing on Iommi, to a lesser extent Dave Mustaine - I wanna break that mould cause those sort of solos dont fit in the band you know?
Quote by controlledchaos
Yeah man I think you might be right, since I started I've sorta modelled my playing on Iommi, to a lesser extent Dave Mustaine - I wanna break that mould cause those sort of solos dont fit in the band you know?

It happens to all of us. The best thing I can advise is pick up a 70's Aerosmith record and listen to nothing else but that. Seriously! You'd be surprised at how well it works. Constantly. In the car ; at home ; while you're out listen to it with headphones. Just listen to it in and out ; and learn the songs as well. You'll end up not only learning the songs but knowing all the intricacies of them ; so you can really dig deep into it. Works with any style. I went from listening to nothing but Guns all day long to Skynyrd/ZZ Top and my style started getting southern over-tones without me even noticing!
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
You're going to have to be more specific or provide sound samples. Tony Iommi and Joe Perry are mostly both gonna be using the same pentatonic scale ; with Iommi doing some different modes. What type of guitar do you have? Amp? Pedals?

Lift back on the Distortion. Get a decent overdrive pedal.

No. Just no. The difference is all the way they phrase the lines they play, it has nothing to do with note choice at all. In fact I'd actually be willing to bet that they play a hell of a lot of the same licks since they were both basically raised on blues.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I hope this comment is redundant but you should sound like yourself and not someone else. You'll never be able to play like someone else so the best bet is to sound just like you.

Oi! Me dog Sally needs to drop:

|-4---|
|-5---|