Page 1 of 2
So I'm starting to investigate into buying my first tube amp (so sick of my Line 6 Spider), and I've heard some (very) good things about the Blackstar HT-5s mini stack. I think it sounds like it would suit me; I mainly play metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden etc.) I'm not gigging (yet) - just playing at home, and I don't want to spend anything than $1000 AUD.
I just wanna ask a couple of questions about it:
Are replacement tubes easy to get in Sydney, Australia?
Can it get a nice, "chunky", distorted tone at relatively quiet volumes (i.e. at volumes that don't piss off the family/neighbours)? I play a guitar with active pickups if that makes any difference

And before you say "go and do some research yourself" I already have, but I figure the more advice the better

Cheers
Gear:

Schecter Omen-6
Custom-built explorer (my first build)
Schecter Damian-6
Two strat copies
Home-made PitBull Guitars Flying V
Blackstar HT-1RH
Blackstar HT-Metal
Dunlop KH95 Wah
I think it would be a good amp for you. If I'm not mistaken, it has a distortion pedal in it so you will be able to get decent distorted tones at low volumes. I can't think of anything better to recommend you.

I wouldn't see why replacement tubes would be a problem in Sydney. All tubes amps need them so it wouldn't make sense for them to not be available.

Good luck!
Quote by adambauman31
If I'm not mistaken, it has a distortion pedal in it

wat

This might be wrong, but I think the HT5 is not a good solution for quiet playing. You need some volume to get the best tone of it and it can get damn loud.

Depends on how low does the tone really need to be for you though. I recommend testing one in a music gear shop to see how well it suits your needs.

For really low volume situations I'd go the Line 6 Pod way.
Itll do the tones you want even heavier with a boost.
Its not a full tube amp though
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
I have one of these, I've found that cleans sound fine quiet and loud. When distorted it's average when quiet, you really need to get it louder (say halfway up on volume) for it to sound best.

I don't play metal but from what I've read it can need a boost to get the distortion for metal. Check in the HT5 thread for pedal recommendations. Lots of people use Bad Monkey pedals for their boost.

And it is a hybrid amp.
Quote by Jyrgen
wat

actually it more or less does

the preamp, as far as i'm aware, is very heavily based on the blackstar pedals

and it's not really all-tube... lots of ss stuff going on in it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I bought one for S&G's and it was fun for a week then I started picking up a radio station. None of my other amps do so swapped tubes gold jj 12ax7 and a gold Ehx 12bh7, changed rooms, went to a friends house no change. I've read of a couple other people having the same issue.
I was in the exact same situation as you. I had a bit of money to spend, I had a Line 6 Spider and I play the same bands as you I've had one for a year now and I think it sounds good, not amazing though, that's why I'm upgrading it now. It's a definate improvement over the Line 6 Spider III though. It sounds much better than it. And as everyone else has said, it's not a tube amp, it's a hybrid. If I were you I wouldn't get the mini stack, the amp sounds much better through a 2x12 or 4x12. The 1x10's that it comes with don't do the amp justice. They don't have enough low end for that music. When I got my 4x12 it sounded much better.

I'm not really sure what to tell you. If you need to get an amp now I would say get it but if you could wait and save up for a better amp, I would do that.
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Quote by mmjohn
I bought one for S&G's and it was fun for a week then I started picking up a radio station. None of my other amps do so swapped tubes gold jj 12ax7 and a gold Ehx 12bh7, changed rooms, went to a friends house no change. I've read of a couple other people having the same issue.

Just bought a HT-5s stack 1 month ago! Very happy with it, awesome sound!

But when I played last night I also recived a radio station :S I tought it was my homemade buffer.... Lets just hope it dosent get worse...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
That's true if you live near a radio mast or something like that you will get some interference. I get some through mine, although it only happens for about 10 seconds and then it's normal again
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Quote by Trazzer
Just bought a HT-5s stack 1 month ago! Very happy with it, awesome sound!

But when I played last night I also recived a radio station :S I tought it was my homemade buffer.... Lets just hope it dosent get worse...

Mine was worse at nite at the same time same station....I just gave up.
There are a few tube retailers on Ebay. You'll find that a better place to get them than from the thieves that call themselves music shops. Do a quick ebay search for 12BH7 and 12AX7 and have a look at what pops up.
It's not really a tube amp as others said. It has tubes but there is just as much SS stuff going on in there. Half the preamp is SS and the power amp has a SS phase inverter. Basically, it's a hybrid everywhere you look. That doesn't make it a bad amp though, just a fraudulently advertised one. If you like it and don't mind dealing with a company that lies through their teeth get it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you get it, just don't get the stack. Those 1x10 cabs are HORRID.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
The cheapest I've seen a 6505+ 112 go for in Australia is about $1300. And that was online and wasn't including shipping.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by AcousticMirror
it's not a tube amp.

hmm.. What are the tubes doing there then??? :p
Quote by Trazzer

All hybrids have tubes, if they didn't they wouldn't be a hybrid, they'd be SS.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
All hybrids have tubes, if they didn't they wouldn't be a hybrid, they'd be SS.

Here we go.

Ok, lets not confuse the guy!

The HT-5 is a great amp, really versatile, and sounds good at low volumes, but can also be turned up should you need the extra power! For some heavier stuff you may want an overdrive/boost in future, but there is plenty of gain on tap on its own.

regarding the whole tube thing, just because it's hybrid, that snot a bad think, it still sounds good, the SS parts are no different from someone using an overdrive on a clean amp, which im sure half there people here do!

Like a few others have said, i wouldnt go for the mini stack, its a waste of money to spend extra on two tiny speaker cabs which you'll only want to upgrade in future. I personally have the combofor portability and price, but if you're going the head route, just get a small 1x12 or 2x12 cab (im not sure on what company to look at). It would probably be cheaper than getting the matching one!
Quote by jaybals

regarding the whole tube thing, just because it's hybrid, that snot a bad think, it still sounds good, the SS parts are no different from someone using an overdrive on a clean amp, which im sure half there people here do!
I think hybrids are snot too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Trazzer

oh wow you've got us! We didn't think of that!

Quote by jaybals

how exactly is a transistor-based PI the same as using a tubescreamer into a clean, all-valve amp?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you go to the HT5 thread this is what happens with everybody there:

Quote by HT5 User

Week 1 : Oh wow this thing is awesome!!! I love it, perfect tube tone!

Week 3: Had my HT5 for a few weeks now, any suggestion for how to get a better metal tone? I cant get it to sound quite right.

Week 6: Ok so I got a boost and a graphic EQ, what do I need to do it now?

Week 7: Sold my HT5 and bought a proper amp.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tom 1.0
If you go to the HT5 thread this is what happens with everybody there:

That's exactly what happens!
Well i was also looking for a new amp and i decided to o out aplay a few amps. Ive played a orange dual terror for about a year and a half, then i tested a blackstar ht 5. I whent to the shop with big expectations and thought itd be a gd amp for me. But to be honest i thought it sounded like absolute sh*t in my opinion. Something just sounded soo bad compared to the dual terror, it didnt have the same kinda feel and it just sounded like a SS to me... im now saving for probably a mesa transatlantic...
Last edited by billabob at Aug 25, 2011,
Quote by billabob
Well i was also looking for a new amp and i decided to o out aplay a few amps. Ive played a orange dual terror for about a year and a half, then i tested a blackstar ht 5. I whent to the shop with big expectations and thought itd be a gd amp for me. But to be honest i thought it sounded like absolute sh*t in my opinion. Something just sounded soo bad compared to the dual terror, it didnt have the same kinda feel and it just sounded like a SS to me... im now saving for probably a mesa transatlantic...

Dual terrors are great little amps. I remember trying one out and being very impressed as I didn't expect much from it and the ability to choose wattage aswell is great not just to lower volume but also to get different tones.
I think Ht-5 Is a good amp, and you can play very low and it still plays good

See now that its a hybrid, but that dosen`t mean its bad. All of the clipping is done in the tube section. And it gives a nice tube tone.

I use mine for metal, and it works great, was thinking about Tiny Terror, but it just wasnt heavy enugh for me.

Seems like many dont like this amp because its a hybrid, but if you got an all-tube amp and put some pedals in front of it, you will get ss in your chain :P

Only problem ive got is that I get radio signals in my amp, but I think its because of bad guitar cables...
Quote by Trazzer
I think Ht-5 Is a good amp, and you can play very low and it still plays good

See now that its a hybrid, but that dosen`t mean its bad. All of the clipping is done in the tube section. And it gives a nice tube tone.

I use mine for metal, and it works great, was thinking about Tiny Terror, but it just wasnt heavy enugh for me.

Seems like many dont like this amp because its a hybrid, but if you got an all-tube amp and put some pedals in front of it, you will get ss in your chain :P

So those clipping diodes are just there for looks? Sounds like you've been reading too much Blackstar propaganda.
What most of us don't like about the HT-5 actually being a hybrid is that they advertise it as "all tube". Some people object to false advertising. And it's not just SS in the preamp, the power amp is a hybrid too so don't give me this "if you use pedals......." bs. It's not relevant.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ok then... You might be right. Im just a n00b anyway xD

I must agree to that blackstar is advertising this as an all-tube...
I was very disipointed when I found out that it was a hybrid. But its a god amp, way more better than my Laney Hardcore MXD 120 twin.
If you like it and are ok with being lied to then it's all good. My JCM900 is in the same category (well, except for the power amp part) and although I rubbish Marshall unmercilessly for calling it a valve amp it does make a great punk amp. I have been known to use nothing but it and a guitar when playing punk just because I was too lazy to take my full rig. Hybrid doesn't always mean bad, but ffs, call a spade a spade guys.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If you like it and are ok with being lied to then it's all good. My JCM900 is in the same category (well, except for the power amp part) and although I rubbish Marshall unmercilessly for calling it a valve amp it does make a great punk amp. I have been known to use nothing but it and a guitar when playing punk just because I was too lazy to take my full rig. Hybrid doesn't always mean bad, but ffs, call a spade a spade guys.

almost any amp in the world can produce a punk tone.....
Quote by sewoo55
almost any amp in the world can produce a punk tone.....

You're not one of those "punk = crap tone" geese are you?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 26, 2011,
Quote by Trazzer

(a) See now that its a hybrid, but that dosen`t mean its bad. All of the clipping is done in the tube section.

(b) Seems like many dont like this amp because its a hybrid, but if you got an all-tube amp and put some pedals in front of it, you will get ss in your chain :P

(a) LOLWUT?

(b) no shit, sherlock. But the difference is that (a) you can turn the SS pedal off, (b) you can try a bunch of different pedals and choose the one you like the best and (c) no SS pedal is going to make your phase inverter solid state with a proper tube amp.

Quote by Cathbard
So those clipping diodes are just there for looks? Sounds like you've been reading too much Blackstar propaganda.
What most of us don't like about the HT-5 actually being a hybrid is that they advertise it as "all tube". Some people object to false advertising. And it's not just SS in the preamp, the power amp is a hybrid too so don't give me this "if you use pedals......." bs. It's not relevant.

+1

to be fair... i've never actually seen blackstar call it "all-tube" in any literature (though I've seen plenty of guitar shops call it all-tube, and even a blackstar youtube vid, if i remember correctly). But that's marketing-speak at its worst, if you ask me. They do bandy the term "tube" and "pure tube" around a lot.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Running my SS pedals into my tube amp doesn't change what my amp is. Taking apart my SS pedal and sprinkling the components throughout my tube amp does.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
yeah, pretty much.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2