Hey guys,

I have a problem with my guitar. Basically I have to keep the action extremely high or some of the highest notes (15th fret and higher) get muted when I bend them. I checked the neck relief and noticed a up-bow, so I tried to turn the truss rod clockwise... but I couldn't. It's already at its maximum and I can only turn it counter-clockwise.

What should I do? Would a thinner string gauge help to fight the up-bow? I currently use Ernie Ball 11-54 (D tuning) and they are pretty tight, definitely a lot of tension.

Please don't tell me "take it to a luthier/shop to get a professional setup" because there are no luthiers where I live and there is only one small and expensive shop where a setup goes like 100€.

Thanks.
Try turning the truss rod counter clockwise to give it bow. Remember, righty tighy lefty loosy.
DAS BOOT!!!
Quote by Blues Hippie
Try turning the truss rod counter clockwise to give it bow. Remember, righty tighy lefty loosy.
But wouldn't that increase the up bow even more? The neck is already bowed.
Umm, if you're having an upside bow, which I presume means that the center area of the neck is higher than the ends, then that would mean that the truss rod is too tight, and you'll need to loosen it. AmIrite?
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
i'm not entirely sure what you mean by "upbow". that kind of suggests that the neck is bowed backwards which would mean the truss rod is too tight.

which of these describes your neck?

Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
If you aren't 100% sure what you're doing, take it to your local guitar shop and get them to set it up for you, make sure you show them the problem so they know what they're dealing with.

If you try doing too much yourself, you may end up doing more harm than good.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
If you aren't 100% sure what you're doing, take it to your local guitar shop and get them to set it up for you, make sure you show them the problem so they know what they're dealing with.

If you try doing too much yourself, you may end up doing more harm than good.

this, if i didn't know what i was doing i'd much rather pay 100€ for a setup than risk screwing up my guitar.
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by Blompcube
i'm not entirely sure what you mean by "upbow". that kind of suggests that the neck is bowed backwards which would mean the truss rod is too tight.

which of these describes your neck?

Picture A. I know I should turn it clockwise, but it just doesn't turn more, it's at its end while the neck is still concave.
Last edited by Poglia at Aug 24, 2011,
Quote by Poglia
Picture A. I know I should turn it clockwise, but it just doesn't turn more, it's at its end while the neck is still concave.

ah right, then yes, you do need to turn it clockwise to fix that, not counter-clockwise.

i doubt it's at it's maximum tightness if it's concave with 11-54s in a drop tuning - any guitar should be able to withstand that. though it may not be what you want to hear i think taking it to a tech or a luthier and see what they can do with is about the only thing you can really do about it.
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by Blompcube
ah right, then yes, you do need to turn it clockwise to fix that, not counter-clockwise.

i doubt it's at it's maximum tightness if it's concave with 11-54s in a drop tuning - any guitar should be able to withstand that. though it may not be what you want to hear i think taking it to a tech or a luthier and see what they can do with is about the only thing you can really do about it.
I can guarantee it's at its maximum tightness. Even my dad tried it, it won't turn more.

But now it's summer, maybe the up-bow is caused by hot temperature and lots of humidity? I remember having to deal with the truss rod of my old guitar every 5-6 months due to temperature and humidity changes. If it's not the summer, I'll see if I can find a tech/luthier.
Quote by Poglia
I can guarantee it's at its maximum tightness. Even my dad tried it, it won't turn more.

But now it's summer, maybe the up-bow is caused by hot temperature and lots of humidity? I remember having to deal with the truss rod of my old guitar every 5-6 months due to temperature and humidity changes. If it's not the summer, I'll see if I can find a tech/luthier.

Whatever you do, stop trying to force it. It definitely sounds like you're at serious risk of doing permanent damage to your guitar if you keep trying.

Just get it to a guitar shop and let someone who knows what they're doing deal with it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud