I'm looking at recording via Preamp out from my amp head which i'm going to be getting soon but i heard somewhere that you have to have it plugged into a Cab as well otherwise it will damage the head.

Is this true?
Yes, you need to have a cab plugged in if you are using an all Tube/Valve head. If your head has a Solid State power section you will be fine running it without a cab.

Liam
Damn. I haven't got a cab and won't have for a little while.

I've got an AVT Combo (crap i know, blah blah). Is there anyway of using the speaker in that with the head?
Quote by Afroboy267
I'm looking at recording via Preamp out from my amp head which i'm going to be getting soon but i heard somewhere that you have to have it plugged into a Cab as well otherwise it will damage the head.

Is this true?

This is true for most tube amplifiers. The only exception I know is ENGL.
WTLTL 2011
Ok cool. So i've got all setup with my friends AVT50H Head but i need to crank the volume to get a good enough level in Cubase.

I've got it plugged into my AVT100 Combo's speaker but I don't want to turn it up. Is there anyway of turning it up without raising the level coming through the speaker? Perhaps bypass the speaker or something?

I have no idea how this works but i need it all to be in Cubase without damaging anything.
Recording an AVT head direct into cubase? You may aswell record guitars direct and use VST sims, its going to sound like shit.

If you are set on doing that you may aswell record and then 'normalize' in cubase, the AVT was never meant to be recorded that way, or at all really.
Also try turning the 'mix' knob for the fx loop all the way up if it has one, I'm fairly sure its only a parallel loop so thats probably why its such a low signal.
Mesa/Boogie Studio Pre | Marshall EL34 50/50 Power | Harley Benton 2x12 V30's

How do you like, your mids in the morning?
Quote by Bigaxmax
Recording an AVT head direct into cubase? You may aswell record guitars direct and use VST sims, its going to sound like shit.

If you are set on doing that you may aswell record and then 'normalize' in cubase, the AVT was never meant to be recorded that way, or at all really.
Also try turning the 'mix' knob for the fx loop all the way up if it has one, I'm fairly sure its only a parallel loop so thats probably why its such a low signal.

I know it sounds shit, it's just a test til i get my Tube head. I'm just wondering what i need to do in order to keep it all internal (headphones).

I use Amplitube with Impulses at the moment but i want to use the tube head when i buy it.
Last edited by Afroboy267 at Aug 24, 2011,