Hey guys,

I'm gonna upgrade my AVT100 real soon, I want something for gigging that will be able to play GN'R, Aerosmith etc. esque music. I'm lead guitarist and will be playing it with a Gibson Les Paul Studio mainly. Could you guys recommend me something? Also say if it's a combo/half stack etc.

Budget is about £800, which is the equivalent to about $1200
Jcm800?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
ditto on the jcm800, not sure what your used markets are like across the pond but in the states you can definitely get an 800 halfstack or combo for within that pricepoint
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
half stack, unless space/portability is an issue. A 4x12 will get your tone closer to those bands, and will just sound better in general IMO.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
several options... i'm guessing you want something marshally (though i think aerosmith uses whatever )

traynor ycv50b on thomann. combo, good value at ~£400. Worth considering if you don't want to break the bank.

Laney GH50/100L or VH100R (heads). Pretty much hot-rodded JCM800s. VH100R has an added clean channel (with gain boost).

Marshall... guessing an 800 to be more vintage-accurate, but even the dsl or jvm would do at a pinch (though most of the other suggestions would probably do better).

engl blackmore (head) for a slightly more modern, smoother, more refined take on the hot-rod marshall type of tone.

Probably other options, too, those are the ones i can think of off the top of my head.

EDIT: ^ they're also very hybrid.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

still worth pointing out
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I only thought the HT 5 and 1 were hybrid
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Last edited by Tunder250 at Aug 24, 2011,
Quote by Tunder250
I only thought the HT 5 and 10 were hybrid

Well, if there was an HT-10.

Hybrid or not, their voicing is pretty modern sounding, kinda compressed and pretty dark, wouldn't recommend it for stuff like GnR and Aerosmith. Those tones are fairly bright.
i have strong suspicions the whole ht series is hybrid.

only 2 preamp valves (one of which needs to be used for the PI if it's truly all-valve), and allegedly a pretty modern amount of preamp gain?

I call shenanigans.

granted, the ht100 has another preamp valve, but it seems to have more channels, so there could still be shenanigans going on there.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JesusCrisp
Well, if there was an HT-10.

Hybrid or not, their voicing is pretty modern sounding, kinda compressed and pretty dark, wouldn't recommend it for stuff like GnR and Aerosmith. Those tones are fairly bright.

meant the ht-1

@Dave: oh, okay......
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
I would probably suggest the Laney GH50L and a good cab. You can find them used for very cheap (about £300 if you're lucky). There's actually someone selling a Laney VH100R and a Harley Benton 2x12 for £450 which is pretty good. I asked and he said he would sell the head for around £350 if you want a better cab. Not sure where you live though because he's in Newport

Failing that, I would say a JCM 800 (2203 or 2204 are the best I think). Seem to be very popular, although they don't have a clean channel.
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H