I've been meaning to do this for literally years.

I have an (I believe) 2007-8 MIM Fender P bass special (active one with PJ config)

I'm after:

-a new bridge that will fit under a standard J bass ashtray how about this?

-New pickups (preferably for a vintage sound with a modern edge (I was thinking Barts) Just bought some Barts

-Maybe a new preamp (preferably one that I could wire myself)

-Jon has pretty much sold me on Thomastik strings, but suggestions for fairly light gauge flatwounds are welcome

Oh and somewhere to get a silver pickguard for it. Scratch that, I can paint the one I've got

Thanks
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Aug 24, 2011,
With regards to the first, I've never measured a ashtray bridge cover, but here are the technical specifications for the Babicz FCH bridge - measure your bridge and see if it will fit? http://www.fullcontacthardware.com/fch-specs.htm

Barts sound like a good choice. Other options would be Bareknuckle Pickups or Wizard. Both would do you a good job.

The Aguilar OBP preamps are pretty good, and not impossible to wire up. The 3 band has about 15 wires on it IIRC. Other choices would be John East. I've met the man and exchanged emails with him regarding preamp design, very cool chap and very very smart about his designs.

Thomastiks are probably my favourite flatwounds, though I'll try Elites at some point just to see.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
On the ashtray note: width-wise, I don't think there should be a problem with the Babicz. Where you could run in to trouble is with the height at the back of the bridge contacting that rear curve on the ashtray. It could be that you'd just have to drill your holes 1/4" or so farther back, or it could just be too tall a bridge to fit, its hard to say unless you have the ashtray in front of you
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Cool, thanks guys.
I should have the ashtray in front of me in a week or so, and I'll have no more money until Monday anyway (I just bought the pickups) so i can measure it then.
Just in case the full contact bridge won't work, what's the difference between the Badass bridges?
Also, if I sanded the headstock down to remove the writing, what could I refinish it with?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

A Badass II fits my P Special Deluxe.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Quote by gilly_90
Just in case the full contact bridge won't work, what's the difference between the Badass bridges?
Also, if I sanded the headstock down to remove the writing, what could I refinish it with?

The Badass II is a direct Fender replacement, the regular Badass will fit a Fender IIRC, but its not a drop in replacement.

As for the headstock, are you looking to give it a matching headstock, or just refinishing the wood?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Just thinking about sanding everything off the headstock except the Fender logo, then re-finishing it.

I just measured the bridge already on the bass. The Babicz is maybe 0.1 of an inch taller, maybe not quite. Will this be an issue for the cover?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

In that case you should just need a clear coat. You could get one made for instruments like this: http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/nitclearcoat.html, or if you don't feel the need to spend extra on a fancy nitro instrument finish, you can just get a gloss or satin clear finish at a hardware store.

EDIT: personally I'm still leery about the bridge fitting under the ashtray, just because that back plate not only goes up, but out as well to cover the ball ends of the strings. That being said though, the most I can say is that I can't confidently say it will or won't fit without at least having measurements for the ashtray.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Aug 25, 2011,
I always thought the Badass bridges were too big to have ashtrays over them. Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure. And IIRC the Badass II you have to file your own grooves in the saddles whereas the III comes with them already done, but again, could be wrong on that too.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB