I recently bought some new strings, same size as the previous set but they're really slinky when i drop tune into C and it comes out of tune quickly. So do i have to get different strings so they won't be so loose when i go for lower tunings? Cuz i highly doubt any adjustments could be made to make the strings just a little less loose.
Have you ever had it in drop c before the new strings? Also, what gauge strings are you trying to use? If you change the gauge of strings then I recommend a guitar set-up.
Guitars are like my babies... except without that useless baby meat...
Last edited by Kindred_Future at Aug 24, 2011,
Yes you need to get higher gauge strings. I think for C you would need like 12 - 56 or something like that. Also, when you restring a guitar, you have to stretch the strings which helps them stay in tune but if they are loose, get a new set
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
I'm using 9 gauge and drop c was the primary tuning i used before and it was fine. I'm thinking the guy grabbed a different kind of string because they're the same size, these strings just allow you to bend more i suppose. And i always stretch the strings before tuning them up.
At one point a good friend of mine whose more experienced with strings and equipment told me 14s would be good. But i went to 9s because i like using different tunings.
i use 11's in drop D...

Just get a other guitar, tune 1 to C or lower and tune 1 to D standard and higher

Profit ^^
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
When i get the money that's the plan lol. So i guess the big question is 10s or 11s. Is there a major difference between the two?
Quote by robquest
When i get the money that's the plan lol. So i guess the big question is 10s or 11s. Is there a major difference between the two?

the size???
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
The size is the biggest difference, and yes it does matter. Thicker strings are harder to bend, need to be tuned lower to prevent breaking, etc.

For example, Stevie Ray Vaughn played gauge 14 strings in E flat tuning, whereas Yngwie Malmsteen plays gauge 8 strings in the same tuning. SRV liked to wrestle with his guitars to get the tone he liked, whereas Malmsteen has a very light and fluid touch to his playing.

So are you a wrestler or are you a ballerina? Or do you fall somewhere in between?

Try 11s for drop C.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Well put! Its all about preference i suppose. Ill try 11s out, can't hurt.

But for the sake of not starting a whole new thread i have another question while on the topic, after throwing on the bigger strings, what adjustments should be made to the guitar, aside from the pickups and action?
Last edited by robquest at Aug 24, 2011,
Quote by robquest
I'm using 9 gauge and drop c was the primary tuning i used before and it was fine. I'm thinking the guy grabbed a different kind of string because they're the same size, these strings just allow you to bend more i suppose. And i always stretch the strings before tuning them up.
Drop C = 11-54

Also, if they go out of tune easily,did you stretch them? It's very important to do it every time you change strings.