Hi guys, I can palm mute down strokes really well but whenever I try to palm mute up strokes it sounds AWFUL. It makes this clung sound and just sounds likes dead strings (does that makse sense) I've tried angling my pick in all different directions. I think the problem is with my palm mute hand. My hand is lightly resting on the bridge and I've tried taking it off slightly and also resting it more firmly down, still get the same awful sound. What am I doing wrong????
what type of bridge do you have on your axe? its just kind of a finesse type action. make sure you have a good angle of attack at the strings to just the tip of the pick is hitting the strings. most likely you have too much contact with the pick and its causing the strings to not resonate. also, make sure your palm is pressed FIRMLY on the bridge. hope that helps, just takes some practice.
Learn and practice alternate picking, with and without muting, or just practice upstrokes in the same way you do downstrokes.
Alternate picking does that, at least when you play the same note repeatedly. Due to the way the physics or waves and vibrating objects work, never in a million years are you going to get your up strokes the same as a down stroke while alternate picking the same note. I suggest using either entirely down strokes or entirely upstrokes while palm muting. In fact, I suggest getting comfortable and equally good with both.
I had this problem too, but I found that if I only pick one string instead of a power chord while palm muting, it actually sound real good and you can get some serious speed doing that. But I usually try to only downstroke palm muted power chords cuz I think that sounds the best, but sometimes its just impossible.
Quote by robhc
Alternate picking does that, at least when you play the same note repeatedly. Due to the way the physics or waves and vibrating objects work, never in a million years are you going to get your up strokes the same as a down stroke while alternate picking the same note. I suggest using either entirely down strokes or entirely upstrokes while palm muting. In fact, I suggest getting comfortable and equally good with both.

Can you explain why upstrokes will never sound the same as downstrokes?
Quote by zincabopataurio

They can, he's just talking out of his ass.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by zincabopataurio

Some complex physics involving waves and phase cancellation and several other things, that I don't fully understand.
I had it explained to me about a year and half ago by a woman with a phd in physics, and who played several instruments, including guitar. I can it remember the majority of it, nor did I ever really understand it. I didn't like physics lol.
Quote by robhc
Some complex physics involving waves and phase cancellation and several other things, that I don't fully understand.
I had it explained to me about a year and half ago by a woman with a phd in physics, and who played several instruments, including guitar. I can it remember the majority of it, nor did I ever really understand it. I didn't like physics lol.

I'm not a physicist but I'm reasonably certain that phase cancellation only occurs when two or more of the same frequency sound waves are at different points in their wave cycles and are playing simultaneously. As I understand it, this certainly shouldn't happen when picking the same note multiple times using alternate pick strokes.
I say again, it is entirely possible to get upstrokes and downstrokes to sound the same (or as near to the same as the human ear can detect).
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
When playing downstrokes it's easiyer to get things real tight especially for rhythm playing, but doesnt make any difference when playing leads imo :P

As for palmmuting upstrokes, just play around with the guitar play alternate picking on one string and just pick random notes around the neck incase ur ear gets bored :P, and then when you got that down just slowly add ur palm to the bridge and continiue and after some time it will feel natural :P As for palm muting it makes a huge difference how you touch it and where + the angle of your pick, make sure you dont have a lot of pick hanging out loose, that will make ur string get caught when trying to upstroke
Last edited by ZoaL at Aug 24, 2011,
hmm...maybe a thinner pick or pushing your pick out farther
I hate when people compare John Frusciante to God. He's
good and all.............but he's no Frusciante.
Upstrokes for rhythm are more difficult because the pick is moving towards your index finger when you hold your pick. It's easier to downstroke because the pick is moving towards your thumb, which is the strongest finger.