Hi I've been recording my bands first song.
I've got a nice sound going at the moment but I was wondering if you guys could tell me if there's anything that needs improving on it.

This is just a section that I'm working on at the moment.(just guitars)
http://soundcloud.com/jamescox/song-1-verse-guitar-only
I've recording 4 tracks on this.

1. Hard left, guitar 1
2. Hard Right, guitar 1
3. 50% Left, guitar 2
4. 50% Right, guitar 2

Thanks for any help
@jecox ssssoooo ssweeeet that whole set up is so sweet. If I had any distortion/delay setup it would be the akai headrush and BM. Awesome set up.

It's pretty futile judging a single instrument by itself; it's all about how it fits in to the rest of your mix.
Quote by Odirunn
It's pretty futile judging a single instrument by itself; it's all about how it fits in to the rest of your mix.

This
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Quote by Odirunn

This

That

But seriously, even listening to that I can tell you that the riff is kinda cool but there is nothing stand-out about the tone, and I doubt very much it would fit into a mix without a lot of tweaking. A secret to making guitars sit easily in a mix is to have one stand-out or focus part of the tone that gives the guitar its character, and allows it to find a space in the mix while still standing out rather than being buried. Your tone there is too flat and would require a lot of shaping to get it into the right ballpark.

I did like the riff though if that's any consolation, particularly the end bit with the lead over the top

Edit: Oh yeah, how to improve it. Well, without hearing the rest of the instruments none of us can tell you more than guessing/approximating based on what we think you'll want it to fit in with. I'd say it's a fair assumption that you could do with a rolled off low end, and more high end, perhaps a slight scoop to the midrange as well depending on how the bass guitar sounds.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Aug 24, 2011,