I been told I am more built for bass due to my large fingers but my love is acoustic fingerpicking: just is. I found a great book and putting in about a hour a day in it's exercises and trying to absorb as much information as I can, and taking that plus how stubborn I am I refuse to go further into the book till I master these two pages. All they are is going holding chords and following certain finger picking patterns. However, even though I finally for the most part mastered the B7 it's the "B" chord that is kicking my butt. Right now I am not trying any alternate versions of it for I believe I can do this and it's the one where you bar strings 1 to 5 on the 2nd fret and have the other 3 fingers on the 4th fret on string 2 to 4. It's the three finger crammed together and that is hard, and not so much is that hard but trying to get that clean tone. For string 4 I can't for the life of me get that finger near the front of the fret since I have the other two fingers crammed up next to it.

Any tips? I am also going to see this experienced guy that used to be my teacher but had to stop teaching me due to other things in his life going on.

Thanks ahead of time.
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
At first the B chords seem impossible to overcome. Just practice, you will fail miserably but it will pay off
I can play B's with two fingers...
Barring with my index finger over the 2nd fret and 4th fret from the D- to the B string with my Middle finger.
Can also use all four, but That's a bit trickier.
I have just played for a year btw.
If you really have such big fingers you might need to barre the 3rd fret as well. You can use your middle or middle + pinky combination for that I believe. I would still try playing it the way you do because there's no real alternative for it. It's not easy for anyone, so just keep trying.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Man I post this, go to drop the kids off at the pool and all these awesome replies. Thanks everyone.
see i have the EXACT same problem as you, i overcame it by just playing the B barre chord down at the 7th fret
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
What a coincidence!
I had for goal to master the B chord this month and I finally mastered it after 2weeks of practice

What I did is:

1) play Amajor 002220
2)then from A go to 024440

=> I repeated it until I was able to play it easily and cleanly
then I just added the high e string so it became:

1)to 024442

=> Again practice

And finally as you can guess, add the low e ^^

I practiced 12days a row 10min a day.

Hope this advice helped! Good luck bro
Last edited by kishintai at Aug 24, 2011,
I'm odd in that I often switch my ring finger for my pinky when barring chords. There are times when it is advantageous to use one over the other. In case of a B barre chord I would probably be using my pinky to depress the three strings on the 4th fret.
Quote by kishintai
What a coincidence!
I had for goal to master the B chord this month and I finally mastered it after 2weeks of practice

What I did is:

1) play Amajor 002220

1)to 024442

=> Again practice

That is an awesome exercise/idea. THANKS!!!
Quote by Whiskey Tango
I'm odd in that I often switch my ring finger for my pinky when barring chords. There are times when it is advantageous to use one over the other. In case of a B barre chord I would probably be using my pinky to depress the three strings on the 4th fret.

There is a B(something) that is the one I describe and the pinky is on the high E I believe on the 5th fret. I saw that when I was skimming the pages: the book is designed to challenge you and I can confirm it's doing just that.
Quote by kishintai
What a coincidence!

What I did is:

1) play Amajor 002220

1)to 024442

=> Again practice

There shouldn't be an E in a normal B major chord.
The notes are B, Eb, Gb.

I'm not here to tell you that you should never play a B major with an open E string, just know that it's not a B major chord then.
Quote by Whiskey Tango

This is exactly what I do.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by minichibi
There shouldn't be an E in a normal B major chord.
The notes are B, Eb, Gb.

I'm not here to tell you that you should never play a B major with an open E string, just know that it's not a B major chord then.

Yes, I know. I didn't express myself correctly ^^'
When I said: add the low e I actually meant add the note that is on the low e.
So more precisely Gb.
Sry for the confusing :/
That's symantecs, the fact is the exercise is a great way to practice it. Going to see if my daughter let's me have time to do so. Who cares if you are hitting the low E or not. The point is holding the chord itself, and trying to make it ring.
I generally play a shaped barre chords with the high e muted, I know it's not as 'full' as it could be but otherwise it is extremely difficult.
Someone at work that has been playing longer than me made a suggestion I always have on the back of my mind, but man I really love my Taylor. He says, I just might want to consider finding a guitar with a fatter neck for my huge hand/fingers.

The thing is the reason I went Taylor is not so much the pressure from my music teacher, but the fact is that it was only $600 and it really had a nice ring to it. I really like bright sounds; not into the muddy sounds like my Yamaha I previously had. However, I did once come across a Yamaha in Guitar Center that really rang but wasn't ready at that time to buy a guitar and I believe it was one of the 700 models.