Im thinking of shodding my H-51 with teh uber thick 14 guage strings for teh brootz low tuning (since I dont have a 7 for that ).

Will the 0.68 be too much for the nut? And will widening the nut slot ni case its too much be a detriment to tuning back to say D standard in the future? Its gonna be in BEADG btw (lower six strings off a 7 )
More than likely. IIRC, most tuners aren't designed to take any thing larger than 0.06.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Hmm......are regular nuts differently sized from locking nuts? My MH's locking nut took a set of 13's fine.....
If you file them bigger, does it mean you cant go back to thinenr strings?

Idk about locking nuts, with normal nuts you have to file them bigger, and if you go back to smaller strings, you'll just loose some tuning stability cause the strings will move around in the nut more.
I have no idea why you would need 0.68's to play in essentially what is B Standard. I put on a pair of .12s-.56s and I was completely fine, in fact a bit too thick, and I usually don't play with a very low action.
Im happy with my MH on 10's in E, but the same guage in E on my H feels horribly flubby......normally Id stick on 13's for B, but the H seems very different from my MH guess its cause it doesnt have three springs pulling on it. My ideal set would be 10-58 in D standard with the MH. The H is barely a month old, and im still trying to get used to it.
13 are fine. I got a daddario set wig a wound G. Mind u that u won't be able to tune above drop B without screwing up something or hearing some cracking
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Once you go up to .013 you will probably need to open every slot. So you might as well just cut a new nut and save the existing one in case you want to switch back later.

And B tuning is BEADF#B.
Got the 14's installed. I rubbed the string against the nut till it fit. Working eprfectly

@EspTro: My MH was in D standard with the 13s

@JPnyc: Yeah, I had to widen all but the 1st string. And this guitar is purely to replace chuggah chuggah that you get off a 7, leaving lead parts for someone with a guitar in E standard (co guitarist). So BEADGB, lower six strings off a 7. Since I cant afford an actual seven XD
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Got the 14's installed. I rubbed the string against the nut till it fit. Working eprfectly

@EspTro: My MH was in D standard with the 13s

@JPnyc: Yeah, I had to widen all but the 1st string. And this guitar is purely to replace chuggah chuggah that you get off a 7, leaving lead parts for someone with a guitar in E standard (co guitarist). So BEADGB, lower six strings off a 7. Since I cant afford an actual seven XD

Wat made u want that kind of tention o.O
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
Wat made u want that kind of tention o.O

I'm the same way. I like thick and stiff strings. My LTD has 12-56's in C# standard and I think that's plenty. But my ESP has 11-49's in Eb standard and I've considered trying out 11-52's. Some people might even like more tension than me, though. Some people like spaghetti for strings, others like chain link fence type strings.

Phil Collen of Def Leppard uses 13-56's for Eb standard. Now that's crazy, but it's all preference at the end of the day.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
Hey, thick strings have major mojo seriously speaking, I love the extra chunk I get out of palm mutes with thicker strings. Also, its deeply satisfying to hit that low B, and "feel" that big ass penorz string bouncing around under your palm. Now Ive got GAS for an 8 string i wanna fit an 80 on that low F#